Stupid New York Question From A New Yorker

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived in Queens, Brooklyn, and now Orange County, NY. Here goes....

How come there are no hotels in Brooklyn, except the Metrotech Marriot?

How come the only hotels in Queens are near the airports?

How come Staten Island has no hotels?

Middletown, NY which is 80 miles from NY seems to have more hotel rooms than the four outer boroughs put together? (Queens Brooklyn the Bronx and Staten Island)
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:22 PM

I'm guessing you're serious. If a "tourist" is going to New York, there is no possible reason to stay in any of the other places you mention unless it was to stay near friends or relatives or for business purposes there.

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm serious. There are many reasons to stay in the boros. You stated two. There are plenty more. How about visiting opponents to the NY Mets?

I find it incredible that no hotel chain can make use of cheap(er) land in the boros and put up a hotel rather than having one in Manhattan.

Where do they sequester juries?

I work for Keyspan (formerly Brooklyn Union Gas). Before the metrotech Marriot we had to put up our visiting "dignitaries" in Manhattan.

I had to re-do a bathroom for a tenant. I was lucky that I got a room for her near LaGuardia airport for 3 days.

I just notice that for populations that numer in the multi-millions Queens and Brroklyn have very few hotel rooms. I also didn't ever see a hotel in the Bronx or on STaten Island.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 02:00 AM
AC

Dilbert:
You are right about the Bronx, just a few "NO-tells". however, SI has at least two--The Hilton and the Staten Island Hotel plus various "NO-tells".

I am not sure why about Middletown, but they are sure building alot of brand new places.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:20 AM

Had the samw dilemma recently helping a friend from FL book a hotel near Creedmore. She stayed in manhattan on her last visit, and wanted to avoid it on this trip. I managed to get her a cheap rate at the Extended Stay suites in Whitestone. There are also a few hotels in Bayside, Flushing, and there is a Comfort Inn in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn on 4th Avenue. (Was there for a bridal shower). As for the Bronx, I don't know of any hotels there, but there are definitely hotels popping up north of the city.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Where are these hotels in Bayside and Flushing? I am in the area daily and I didn't see them. My rental house is in Jackson Heights. I had to get my tenant a room in a hotel near Laguardia.

I really think that there are few to none decent hotel rooms in the boros.

Any idea why?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:42 AM

Even people who are in town to visit relatives or play the Mets might want to stay in Manhattan in order to have interesting things to do. I supose that such customers who do want to stay in the outer boroughs just wouldn't provide enough, reliable demand to support a hotel. The hotel-builders know that there's just more demand in Manhattan (or even Middletown)!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:45 AM

The Extended Stay Suites is right off the Whitestone Expressway near the Whitestone Bridge off of the 20th Ave exit. I also remember a Sheraton Hotel in Flushing close to the LIRR near Main Street.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:53 AM

The answer is easy: It's simply a case of supply and demand!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Answer might be simpler: zoning.

Another answer by way of a question: if you look into the many B&B networks, aren't there some, or even many, in those boroughs?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:09 AM

There are 3 hotels on Queens Blvd, in Queens. There's a Howard Jonson and Queens Motor Inn (they're next to each other, and the buildings look alike) at 64th-65th st. And then there's PanAmerican Hotel (I think that's the name) closer to the Target store on the south side of Q blvd. as well as a couple of Inns (those look run down, really). I've seen a room at PanAmerican at it's a nice hotel.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM
GoTravel

Isn't there a Hampton in in Queens right at the Triborough Bridge?

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Hmmm...honestly? Well, for a few reasons. Most places ouside of Manhattan "the city" are residential. A lot take a long time to get to the city from. Also, unless you have a car you will have to either walk or take buses and subways through some seedy neighborhoods in many cases even if the places itself is ok.

Case and point: Pelham Bay, the Bronx- you have to take the 6 train through the worse parts of the South Bronx, which might really bother a tourist to get to the motel. Plus, it takes 45 mins. to an hour+. that's a whole lot of traveling for nothing.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I have seen a hotel in Staten Island. It is a major chain (Holiday Inn? Sheraton?) It is next to and south of the main highway that leads to the bridge to Brooklyn.