Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Finally booked honeymoon! Now should I book any tours or must see attractions ahead of time?

Finally booked honeymoon! Now should I book any tours or must see attractions ahead of time?

Apr 15th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

My fiance and I finally booked our honeymoon after a good month or so of extensive research and bargain hunting. We ended up with 2 nights in Oahu, 7 nights on Maui, and 3 nights on Kauai. Knowing our lengths of stay on each island what would you consider a must see or do and should we book ahead of time?

Thanks so much!
Pam
Apr 16th, 2003, 04:28 AM

My husband and I just took our first anniversary trip to Hawaii last month and we spent 4 days on Oahu and 4 days on Maui. Where are you staying on Oahu? That will help me figure out what you should do. Since you only have two days, you probably don't want to spend a whole lot of time driving. In Maui, since you have so much time, you'll be able to do a lot of things. One of my favorite things on Maui was taking a charter boat out to Molokini and going snorkeling. It may seem like a touristy thing to do, but hey, you're a tourist, and it really is beautiful. We did that for about $35 per person and saw a lot of whales. I assume you won't be there during whale season though. Also on Maui we did the Old Lahaina Luau. Check out their web site, it was great fun.
I know a lot of people will tell you to do to the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu, but personally, I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was a little boring, even though it was well done and somewhat interesting. You don't want to spend a whole day there (which is inevitable) and it's really expensive. I've never been to Kauai, but I'm sure someone out there is an expert.
Apr 16th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Kauai:
1. Kee Beach snorkeling, on a calm day.
2. NaPali coast trail (for rugged hikers, or do helicopter or boat/snorkeling tour) entrance at Kee Beach, where the road ends, north shore.
3. Waimea canyon (Hawaii's Grand Canyon)
4. Dinner at the BeachHouse Restaurant

Maui:
1. Road to Hana (dinner at Mama's Fish House)
2. Sunrise at Haleakula
3. Whalewatch from Lahaina, (or snorkeling trip if summer)

Oahu
1. Visit Pearl Harbor Memorial, tour WWII submarine
2. Drive around island, stop at Dole stand in North.
3. Hike Diamond Head (early in the morning, well before 10AM)

Suggest Early Reservations only for Beachhouse restaurant on Kauai for dinner for sunset, otherwise showup without reservation and eat at bar with partial view.
Enjoy your trip!
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for all the tips! I did buy some books so now that the booking is set I can start reading more about all the great things to do in Hawaii. We are staying at the Outrigger Reef in Oahu.
Thanks again and any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pam
Apr 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM

If you are going to attend a luau, book the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui now for best seating. I think most everyone will agree that the OLL is the best in Hawaii and early booking will guarantee you a good seat.
Apr 20th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Johnd got it right.Kauai , KEE beach hike the ridge then on your return eat lunch ( that you brought with you) and snorkle the beach.On another day helicopter ride and after drive the grand canyon , and take the canyon hike ( hard 3-4 hours- but worth every step)it was awesome.
Maui i would add a day of snorkeling black rock( located in front of the sheraton hotel-whalers village, kaanapalli), and enjoy the whalers village, for shoping and lunch by the beach, and walk arround the areas hotels.

Oahu stop at sunset, pipeline, and all the beaches on your trip arround the island. nick