Search

Steak in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Dave

Steak in Chicago?

Will be spending next Thursday night at the Chicago Hilton and looking for a great steak place downtown to take a client. If we can walk from the Hilton, fine (excercise nuts) but a cab is fine, too. Everyone knows Morton's but was looking for something more "local". Suggestions, please?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Kari

Gibson's on Rush Street. Make sure to call ahead by at least 4 days or get there early.
The steaks are the best and the portions are huge so be sure to split side orders.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:01 PM
ang

I am a big steak lover and so is my husband, we love Gibson's for the food and atmosphere. It's more than jsut a restaurant and is connected to a nice piano bar.

Chicago Chop House is old world style restaurant thind dark woods, quiet and very subdued but delic steaks.

Another good option but more expensive is Smith and Wollensky's. We don't go there very often because of the cost factor but the location right on the Chicago River is great. I'm thinking though that it may be chain though like Morton's.

Finally, and I know this one is a chain, but it is the best place for prime rib, Lawry's.

Any of these would be good and now my mouth is watering . . .

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Bill

Gibson's is a good place to catch the local flavor - big steaks with a lot of money in the bar. Another option would be Gene and Georgetti's on Franklin - independent Italian steakhouse.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Peter

Dave -

The food at Gibson's is fine, but a warning about the bar area and the "atmosphere" that Ang and Bill are plugging. It can be very entertaining, but the bar/lounge is of full of hookers/pseudo hookers and balding, middle aged men buying them drinks, as well as tourists, suburbanites, and recent transplants who don't know any better. Not that there is anything wrong with this - it can be an absolute riot - but don't let anyone convince you that this is a local hangout full of Chicago favor. Depending on who your client is, he/she may get a big kick out of it.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Brian

Gibons Gardens in Midlothen. (South Suburbs) has the best steak in the world. At half the price of the above mentions steak houses.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Dave

Peter - I appreciate the advice concerning the "environment",guess I'm more concerned with getting a great steak that being distracted by the locals having a good time. I've had a couple of other people mention Gibsons, so I'm leaning that way.

Been to Gene & Georgettis - didn't live up to the reputation.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Confused

Dave -

Aren't you the one who said who were looking for something more "local"?? People responded directly to that and Peter put in his own opinion as well about the atmosphere. Now you're saying it's not important. What gives?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Carmella

Brian, are you talking about Jack Gibbons in Oak Forest? If so, I can't see why Dave would want to drive 35 miles to go there when he is looking for something within walking distance to his hotel.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:45 AM
xxxx

Capitol Grille, without a doubt, is the best in Chicago
Yes, I know it is a chain...but he asked for the best steak...and Capitol Grille is the best!
Tavern on Rush has a great filet as well.
I didn't care for Smith & Wollensky.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Dave

Confused - No, I didn't say "local" wasn't important. I said a great steak was more important than the atmosphere.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:48 AM
FB

I just went to Keefer's in Chicago and my filet was the best I've ever had anywhere.
Keefer's has excellent food, great bar area and it's dining area is beautiful.
I highly recommend Keefer's for steak.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:11 PM
a

I highly disagree with the person who recommended Capitol Grille. Not only is it a chain that was not originated in Chicago (unlike Morton's which was started in Chicago), the food is terrible. The cuts of meat are inferior and poorly cooked. The service is only so-so. My husband is a steak-lover and was so disappointed in CG.

I would recommend Morton's, Gibson's and the Chicago Chop House. You can also go to Hugo's Frog Bar and get Gibson's steaks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
xxxx

Now now "a", the food at Capitol Grille is not "terrible." Exaggerating a bit? Do you live in Chicago "a"?
I lived in Chicago for 10 years and am a steak lover myself. I have tried them all (except Magnum's) numerous times. All the restaurants mentioned have good steaks.

As I lived in the Gold Coast, Gibson's used to be my "home away from home" on weekend nights, and it is good, but I found it to be a bit inconsistent. Capitol Grille was always consistently good.
In my opinion, Chicago Chop House is a tourist trap and is not one of my favorites.

I quite like Select Cut on north Halsted...if you're looking for local steak joints. Not my fav though.

I moved out of Chicago a year ago to Europe...has the steak restaurant scene changed that much in the year I have been gone? I must admit that I haven't heard of Keefer's though.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
a

Yes, I have lived here for 5 years and in my opinion the food at Capital Grille is just not very good. My husband has lived here all his life. In addition, the original poster specifically requested "something more local". There is nothing local about Capital Grille, which is based out of Providence.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:31 AM
aussie dude

Outback Steakhouse is what your looking fer mate.