Staying in Yosemite

Dec 30th, 2002, 06:31 AM
shannon

Staying in Yosemite

I am planning a trip to Yosemite in April. I would have love to have styed at the Ahwahnee, but it is above my budget. So my decision is between Yosemite Lodge in the park and Yosemite View Lodge, which is located right outside the park. Any comments on which would be the best choice? Also I will be driving down to Yosemite from Reno, what is the best way to get there?

Dec 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
travellyn

Not knowing anything about either of the 2 lodges you mention, I'd still recommend the one inside the park. You want to cut driving time as much as possible in order to have more time to appreciate the park itself. Realize that the speed limits will be 45 mph at the most, so driving times will be even longer than you might guess.

Dec 30th, 2002, 08:32 AM
x

In April the Tioga Pass will probably not be open so you will have to approach Yosemite from the west side of the Sierras. Since Reno is on the east side you will have quite a drive.

You should definitely stay at Yosemite Lodge.

Dec 30th, 2002, 09:23 AM
tom o

i vote for in the park too--I steyed out side the park once in the winter adn it snowed and i had to deal with chains, etc. no fun.

Dec 30th, 2002, 10:27 AM
rob

stayed at Y. Lodge a few years ago and liked it.........much better than the ratholes at yosemite west condo's. and yes, staying IN the park is a lot better....no matter how short the driving distances look on a map.

Dec 30th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Louis

A deluxe second floor room at the Yosemite Lodge looking towards the river or falls -- not the parking lot is our choice. From Reno take R395 south to R50 west to 49 south. Go south on 49 until you reach 120. Go west until the Park and follow the signs to the valley floor. These are all good roads below the snow line. You are taken by Lake Tahoe and then though gold country. A slightly faster way is to take I-80 until 49 and then south as before.

Dec 30th, 2002, 11:13 AM
x

I don't think that it waould be faster to go I 80 from Reno to 49 south through Foresthill and Placerville than it would to do Louis's first recommendation of Highway 50 to 49.

Dec 31st, 2002, 01:30 PM
John R.

My wife and I stayed at Yosemite Lodge last summer and we were very glad we did. It is a great centrally located place to start all your day trips from and it is nice to be able to simply walk outside and see Yosemite Falls and the awesome cliffs all around. It isn't the world's most luxurious accommodations (its quality is like a good older motel) but you can't beat it for the convenience and the location.

Dec 31st, 2002, 03:40 PM
ChildCare Lady

Hi... We've stayed at the Yosemite West condos, and felt they were anything BUT ratholes. We stayed in one with a loft, and it was more than adequate for our needs. It is great to stay on the valley floor itself, but it is very expensive. Especially, when you add in the cost of 3 meals/day. We paid $120/night for the condo (2 adults/2 small children), and cooked our own breakfast and dinner (quick stuff). You pay AT Least $125-150/night for the Yosemite Lodge, and at least $250-300/night for the Awannee (SP).

Dec 31st, 2002, 04:10 PM
Jen

Ditto. Stay IN the park. You will not regret it. The cafe at the Lodge is very resonable.