Yosemite for Easter Break

Dec 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Jane

Yosemite for Easter Break

I haven't been to Yosemite in many years - we've had a problem getting reservations in the summer when my son is out of school and I just didn't want to deal with the crowds. This year, my son's Easter break is the first week of April and we wondered what Yosemite would be like at that time of year. We are hikers - will most of the paths be too snowy to hike?

Dec 4th, 2002, 01:56 PM
tom

The access roads in the high areas (glacier point, tioga pass) will be closed, but the main valley floor area should be fine. You should be able to do day hikes up the mist trail to Vernal and Nevada falls. I would expect Yosemite falls trail to be open since it is south-facing. The giant redwood groves should also be hikeable. You could probably do cross-country skiing out along glacier point road from Badger Pass, depending on how much snow has built up during the winter. It's certainly not the main hiking season, but it is less crowded. Weather is quite variable; most likely sunny and cool, but still significant chance of rain, slight chance of snow (in the valley).

Dec 4th, 2002, 08:43 PM
lynette

April will not be warm, but it may be sunny and wonderful weather for a bicycle ride! Spring is a beautiful time to visit. The wildflowers should be in bloom and the falls will be starting their magic. Have a wonderful visit.

Lynette

Dec 5th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Utahtea

I have been in Yosemite in April and on two differnt years I have wore shorts on the hike to Vernal Falls. It can also be cold or snow.

Easter break can get crowded but nothing like the summer time.

April is my FAVORITE time to get to Yosemite!

Utahtea

Dec 31st, 2002, 04:13 PM
ChildCare Lady

Yosemite is beautiful in Spring. We've been the last 9 out of 10 years, and we love it. The only problem with April/May in the rain. We've been flooded out and evacuated in May 2 different years. I'm not kidding! Personnally, we prefer June. It's perfect during the day and cool at night. Also, we love Glacier Point and the road doesn't open until begining of June (or later, depending). I've posted this for a couple other people (and have had friends stay there)... look up Yosemite Scenic Wonders vacation rentals. They rent condos, duplexs and houses. We've gotten reservations for June as late as April (unlike the Valley floor that fills up a year in advance).

Dec 31st, 2002, 04:15 PM
ChildCare Lady

The crowds in Yosemite are okay during the week (Mon-Fri), up until mid-late June. Then, you want to avoid Yosemite 7 days/week after that, until after Labor Day.