Yosemite accommodations

Search

Yosemite accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite accommodations

We will be visiting Yosemite park from July 1-4 and would like to get lodging recommendations. We are 2 adults and 3 children (ages 13, 11, 8).
Thanks,
Clau
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM

The best is the most convenient and the most convenient while being hte most comfortable is Yosemite Lodge at the Falls.

www.yosemitepark.com is the official concessionaire so don't reserve in the park lodging through any other provider.

You can check out thier other oprions for in the park.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Book NOW - those will be the busiest 4 days of the whole year.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yosemite Lodge not available. Any feedback on Yosemite View Lodge or Yosemite Cedar Lodge?
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Yosemite View is a nice place right on the Merced River. Only about 30 minutes to the valley or you can jump on YARTs and be shuttled into the park, not worry about finding parking and then get around on public transport. If you do drive in each day keep your entrance receipt because it's good for 7 days.

Did anything in Curry Village appeal to you? It's not for everyone but it's always nice to stay in the park.

You can also look into Yosemite West lodging if you still want to be inside the park.

Keep in mind that there are always cancellations so if you really want to stay at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls you can check everyday.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM

I'd maybe book a refundable stay at Yosemite View and then hope for a cancellation at Yosemite Lodge. This far out if you stick w/ it you can very likely get into the Lodge. At very worst you end up at Yosemite View which wouldn't be terrible.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Stayed at Yosemite View Lodge and I thought it was great- if you get a room with river view you can hear it all night.
Our room had a small kitchen so we could make a breakfast, have snacks etc
The bus stops there too so you can take the bus into the park instead of driving
and there is a swimming pool for the kids, and a couple of restaurants at the resort -

I would stay there again
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. How about the Yosemite Cedar Lodge? In this one we could stay in one room, instead of two rooms at the Yosemite View Lodge...
Inside the park, which accommodations would you recommend?
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:19 AM

I would choose Yosemite View over Cedar Lodge. It's closer to the park and maybe a little bit newer too.

The other closest option, as mentioned above, is a condo, apartment or house at Yosemite West. They're a reputable company with lots of properties - I've used them twice in the past. The prices are probably comparable to Yosemite View Lodge.

Just don't stay too far from the park (meaning Yosemite Valley), especially during that holiday period, or you will spend most of your time in your car.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Yosemite View would be my choice (but then most Northern Californians get chills just hearing the name Cedar Lodge because of the murders -- but that was along time ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Stayner
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Here is an excerpt from my trip report that may be helpful.... ignoring Fodorite suggestions, we left for Oakhurst, a town utterly without charm, located not far from the Park’s South Entrance. Fodorites suggested that we skip Oakhurst and either stay in the Park – but there were no rooms available- or stay in a town with more charm, like Mariposa. We chose Oakhurst because we wanted to see Nelder Grove in the National Forest near the South Entrance.... What Oakhurst lacks in charm, it makes up for in convenience. There are lots of well priced motels, fairly decent restaurants, a huge Raley’s supermarket where we were able to stock up on picnic goods, and the usual chains found in strip malls. We stayed at the Shilo Inn – a place that I would highly recommend. At a price of about $70 it was the lodging bargain of the trip. Our room was huge – I’ve stayed in so called suites that were smaller, well furnished and spotlessly clean. Shilo Inn offers free coffee and tea in the lobby 24/7, has a friendly staff, a small pool, sauna and work-out room. It is a scenic 20 minute or so drive to the Park’s South Entrance. It also has free wi-fi. The included breakfast was excellent – the best of the trip.

I also noted in the TR that staying near the south entrance turned out to be a good thing in that it is very convenient to the Mariposa Grove, which notwithstanding its name, is not at all convenient to the town of Mariposa where we did stay after leaving the park. Mariposa was a town of charm, but not nearly as convenient to the park as Oakhurst and the lodging scene was poor in comparison. BTW, Cedar Lodge is a longer drive to the Yosemite Valley than the town of Oakhurst.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Cedar Lodge in El Portal is most definitely not a longer drive to Yosemite Valley than driving from Oakhurst at the south entrance. Cedar Lodge is 8 miles to the Arch Rock Entrance Station. The Arch Rock Entrance Station is 11 miles from Yosemite Valley.

Oakhurst is over 55 miles from the Valley and will take about 90 minutes due to the windy road and speed limit.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Well Suzie, I will defer to your Yosemite knowledge - perhaps I was confusing the valley with the park itself. Oakhurst was at the most a 20 minute drive to the south entrance, which is the entrance closest to the Mariposa Grove, IMO a must see.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:23 AM

I think where some first time visitors get confused is in thinking a hotel close to the south entrance of the park sounds like a convenient location.

But it's not - except for seeing the Mariposa Grove. The major sights and breathtaking views of Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point are nearly an hour drive from the south entrance. Tuolomne Meadows would be a 2 hour drive. On a summer weekend the traffic will be heavier. So you'll be wasting 2-3 hours (or more) of your day driving on a road with very little to see.

Stay as close to Yosemite Valley as you possibly can. It's much easier to take an afternoon and drive down to Mariposa Grove and back than to drive back and forth from that area every day of your trip.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Agree with those who posted that driving times are longer than they would seem - we chose the Yosemite View on recommendation from Fodorites and were glad that we did. We were there on a very warm day in May and there was a lot of traffic already - being able to take the bus from Yosemite View is a plus for sure because once you get to the valley floor you can take shuttles to many places and parking was difficult if you didn't get there early
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Janis about Cedar Lodge except to add that the memory stretches out to all Californians, especially those like me who go to Yosemite nearly every year. If I ever planned on staying outside the park (and one year we did stay a night at the Tenaya in Fish Camp, a great place to stay), the stigma of Cedar Lodge would keep me miles from that place. I am surprised the owners didn't close it down, renovate it, and open it up with a new name.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Yosemite Lodge not available.

People cancel reservations all the time.
We never give up on the Lodge.
We keep calling until we get a room.
And we always do.

Same for any "fully booked" lodge in a National Park.

HTTY