Nice & Reasonable lodging at Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate some suggestions as to a nice place to stay in the park at a reasonable price. Thank you.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Been to Yosemite many times and can provide you with lots of information but in your estimation what is a “reasonable” price.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM

We liked Yosemite Lodge--great location and big room (that may no be redecorated).
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM

IMHO, there are no nice places to stay in the park at a reasonable price.

Your options are:

- Awahnee: very nice and very expensive ($400/night).

- Yosemite Lodge: OK, 60s style, sort of a motel. A lot more expensive than it would be outside the park. It's $150-200 / night for rooms that would be $60 if they weren't in Yosemite.

- Wawona: at the south entrance, so a good 40 minute drive from the valley. An old Victorian hotel, plenty of character, but not totally up-to-date. $140-200/night (I think).

Plus campgrounds and tent cabins, and some cabins at Curry Village.

Check out the places at Yosemite West, an area just outside park borders, but only accessible from inside the park. It's only 15-20 minutes drive from the valley.

For a list of all accomodation in and around the park, see http://www.yosemitefun.com/lodging.htm
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM

Yosemite Lodge has a great location for enjoying the park. It is smack dab in he middle of everything. Call and ask if the rooms have been redecorated. Even if they haven't--stay there.

It is always better to stay IN the park because most people leave in the late afternoon and you end up having the place without all the day trippers. The same applies to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Zion, etc.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM

We just spent 6 days there in August, but stayed at a condo at Bass Lake. Bass Lake is only 14-15 miles from the south park entrance, where the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequuoias is located, but an hour's drive from the Valley, or Glacier Point. (A strenuous hour if you are not used to winding mountain roads.) We liked our condo, and were able to cook our own meals, but spent alot of time driving each day we went into the park. If you have hopes of catching sunrises or sunsets, or don't want to spend chunks of time driving over the same road each day, I'd opt for a place in the park.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Neopolitan

If the Awahnee were sitting along an interstate in Nebraska, no one would ever pay half what it costs.
If the Yosemite Lodge weren't in the fantastic park where it is, people would be outraged that it is more than about $59 a night.
The cost has to factor in where you are -- otherwise you won't think any of the prices are reasonable.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

footloose-When are you going to Yosemite? I am going next week for two days and staying at one of the Yosemite West studio condos-$125 a night. I will let you know how they are.

Others recommend Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. Originally I was going to stay there but all they had available was the river view rooms at $189 and I didn't want to pay that. My DD and I just decided to go at the last minute and it's sort of a budget trip. However, you would have no problem gettings rooms there if you reserve ahead of time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM

Stay in the valley and don't worry about getting a good value. You'll be IN the valley. The places outside the park are not the best value either and I'd rather be gouged and be in the park than be gouged and have to drive 45 minutes to get to the vallley.

-Bill
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay in the Valley - and that doesn't mean just in the park. The Valley (if you can get a room) is the only place that makes much sense for the average visitor on a short visit. If you were staying for a week and only spending a couple of days in the Valley then outside the valley or even outside the Park would make some sense. Yosemite Lodge is the best combination of relatively reasonable rates and relatively comfortable accomodations.

That being said - if the Lodge is booked solid, staying outside the park is OK - and much better than not going at all.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Priceline has a lot of hotels near the park but I notice they have Wawona Lodge (my favorite) in the park at $126.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM

Has anyone stayed at the rental cabins in Foresta? Is that a good location for late october visit to the park?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM

We recently stayed at the Yosemite West High Sierra B&B. Lovely place with great hosts, who are very knowledgable about the park. It is about 20 mins drive to Wawona and 30mins to the Valley.
If you would like to watch the sun set away from the crowds in the valley, this is the place to be.
The driving didn't bother us really, as you need to drive to get anywhere in the park.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM

When I told a trusted friend that we were going to Yosemite, she advised that we stay on the valley floor within the park.

We took her advice, and we are glad we did.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Whether you stay in the valley or drive in, there is a shuttle that goes around to valley which is really convinient. Parking can be tough at different areas, so if you drive in, it is nice to only have to look for parking once. And if you stay in the valley, it is nice to just come out and not even have to get in the car. Renting (or bringing) bikes is another great way to get around the valley.