Staying At the Beach In Savannah?

Feb 24th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Staying At the Beach In Savannah?

Because of flight patterns my family gets to enjoy two nights in Savannah on our way to a week in Charleston. I'd love to just stay in the historic district, but my five and two year old are primed for the beach. Are there any beach towns within a quick drive to Savannah? Of, if that isn't an option, kid friendly hotels in the historic district? I'm thinking suite type situations that won't break the bank.
thank you!
Feb 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Tybee Island is about 20 miles and 30 minutes from the Historic District.
Feb 25th, 2013, 03:33 AM

As Starrs mentions above, Savannah Beach is an easy drive and there are the usual overnight accommodations available.
Feb 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM

We always fly into Savannah for HIlton Head too. Tybee would be nearer to airport.
Feb 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I'll look for a hotel on Tybee Island. I see a lot of other barrier islands that seem nearby as well. Is Tybee the best option? Since we'll be heading onto Charleston for a week at the beach I'm mainly looking for a hotel option where my small children can run around safely. I thought a beach location would be more relaxing for that than a town square.
Feb 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
OO

Your children won't have much interest in historic Savannah, although the squares can be fun to run around in and there is playground equipment in Forsyth Park, but you must at least see it! It is gorgeous.

You aren't seeing much enthusiasm for Tybee here, and I must say first that its been a while since we lived there, but I did not care for Tybee at all, and I'm a beach person. The northern end is better, but it's mostly residential. More often than not when we went to the beach we drove to the public beach on Hilton Head off of Folly Field Rd instead. As you should see Savannah, I'm not suggesting you stay on Hilton Head, but don't set your sights too high with Tybee (and you just might be pleasantly surprised).
Feb 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Did not like Tybee island at all! Hotel choices there are very limited and don't think that I saw any hotels that were right on the ocean.
Feb 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Tybee's your only real choice if you want to be a "quick drive" to Savannah. It's not so bad - it's a nice beach if a little redneck and it's true your choices of places to stay for a 2 night stay will be limited and not high quality.

We used to enjoy trips to Tybee when we lived in Atlanta. But we were young and kidless then.
Feb 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Tybee's not my favorite, but that's because I like other locations better. But that doesn't mean you won't enjoy Tybee. I've come to realize that a lot of friends and family members' friends really love it. Check out tripadvisor - there are a lot of people who return year after year for whom it's their favorite beach location. It's a laid-back, funky kind of place. It would be a good choice for kids to run and play on the beach.
Feb 27th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

I really haven't seen any hotels on Tybee that I would look forward to staying at. It's a pain checking in and out of hotels but I'm thinking of adjusting our plans for one night in Savannah and then the next in Hilton Head. I'll use the bribe of the beach to make my kids behave for some historic site seeing in Savannah.