Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Georgia experts, I need help planning this vacation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of us are flying down to Atlanta, Georgia over Labor Day weekend next year for a wedding. Some of us want to follow up with five days at a beach house afterwards.

My idea would be to fly into Atlanta, then rent a car and drive up to Charleston area (about 5 hrs?), stay perhaps on Kiawah Island and fly out of Charleston. Another option is to drive south to St. Simon's Island, but then we'd have to drive all the way back to Atlanta.

I'd not familiar with that part of the States. Those of you who are, can you offer some tips? (I suspect the weather will be miserably hot and humid that time of year, but we can't change the date, due to the wedding.)
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM

It is a little over 5 hours to Charleston. A little over 4 hours to Savannah. Either has some beach areas nearby that might suit you.

Do not know from where you are flying, but on many older airlines into one city and out of another gets quite expensive. If you are in the Independence Air route system (and they do not fold), you could avoid the one-way versus round-trip price issue, I think. They connect thru Washington/Dulles and then on to Atlanta or Charleston or Savannah.

I was in Savannah for 3 days early this September. It was so hot and humid that the hotel maid thought I had been caught in a rainstorm by my appearance.

But the beach should be much more pleasant.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:05 AM
GoTravel

The Charleston area beaches can be a little more upscale than Tybee Island in Georgia.

Wild Dunes would suit your family perfectly and is a 20 minute drive from downtown Charleston which is a huge plus.

Start checking on rentals now for Wild Dunes. After January, the pickings will start to get slim.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM
iceeu2

Maggi..also about 5 hours from Atlanta is The Cloister on Sea Island. Outstanding in every way. You could fly into and out of Jacksonville or Savannah. The Cloister has a shuttle, so you could do away with your rental car.
I know you asked for a beach get-a-way, but one thing you might check is bigcanoe.com..........It is only about an hour outside of Atlanta and just super. There are lots of great houses for rent there, lakes, swim club, outstanding golf, restaurants, etc.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM

If Savannah is a consideration, Hilton Head Island (and Daufuskie Island) are only 45 minutes away. Well - Daufuskie is accessed by ferry from Hilton Head.

And since you'd consider going to St. Simons, between there and the Jacksonville airport are Jekyll Island, and Amelia Island.

What kinds of things would your group want to do while at the beach house? That can play a part in your choice of area.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Somehow I lost this thread and just found it again. Gail, thanks for the tip on Independence Air - I'll definitely check out that possibility.
This trip is still taking shape - it's hard to coordinate everybody's schedules and expectations. I think we have finally settled on Kiawah Island and am currently looking for a 4 bedroom beach house. There are a few possibilities, but we're definitely open to more suggestions. Thanks, guys!