Search

Charleston/Savannah/HHI?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston/Savannah/HHI?

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip the first week of June for 6-7 nights and we aren't sure where we should spend our trip...Charleston, Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, etc??. I am 4 mos pregnant, so this is our "babymoon" as they call it - last R&R before the baby. We don't golf, so I am hesitant to stay in HHI, but if there is more to do there, we would be open to it. We love fine dining, historical sites, nature, beaches and art. We like action, site seeing and variety..nothing too sleepy. I was thinking of staying a couple nights in Savannah and a few in Charleston...also had some interest in exploring the low country and islands. Is it best to make one place home base and day trips the rest? You Fodors folks always have the best advice, so I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks!
Laura
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
GoTravel

Well, it is already hot and humid as hell here and Spoleto will be going on so I would suggest skipping Charleston.

Also, it will be hot and humid in Savannah.

Personally, at 4 months pregnant, I'd head to the beach so I guess my vote would go to HHI.

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I don't know what kind of accommodations you'd be able to get at this point, unless you stay at The Sanctuary, but Kiawah Island outside of Charleston is wonderful. The beach is great... lots of beach and trails for walking, running, biking. Maybe a 20-30 minute drive into Charleston. Not sure exactly how far to Savannah though. We've been going every other year with my family and another family for about 20 years. I love it.
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM

I have to vote with GoTravel for HHI. It's still an easy hour drive to Savannah or you can even take a boat shuttle for your "city fix".
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Based on your interests, I think your original plan is a good one. I highly recommend Beaufort, in between Savannah and Charleston. You might also like St. Simons and Sea Island a lot--much more than Hilton Head. You could stay in Savannah about three nights and sightsee and eat in some great restaurants, then go down to St. Simons. If you are interested in that, please respond and I can give you some ideas for places to stay, eat and see art in Savannah, Beaufort and St. Simons.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:34 AM

HHI offers the beach and fine dining. You can bike most of the island, take cruises around the islands, dolphin watch, kayak, hike, and visit several historic sites on the island. Savannah and Charleston have appeal. Many regulars on this site are avid fans of both.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:04 AM

I was just in Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah in March and it was lovely but I suppose the heat and Spoletto crowds could make it less pleasant. I thought there was more to see in Charleston than Savannah but both had plenty of interesting architecture/walks, etc and lots of restaurant choices. From Charleston there are several plantations that make good half day trips. We had four days in Charleston, one night in Beaufort and two in Savannah. If you don't want anything "too sleepy" I'd skip Beaufort. Sleepy was a good description for it.

Where are you coming from? Is beach a novelty for you? Otherwise I guess I don't get why you'd travel to the Charleston, Savannah area and not stay in them. You could do a day trip to a beach if you needed a rest. You said you like fine dining, historical sites and art - those are found in the cities. For nature, the plantations, especially Magnolia, which has lots of swamp land, would be good (although I did see alligators at all three of the plantations we went to - Magnolia, Boone, and Middleton).
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Hi Isabel,

We are going to Savannah/Charleston the first week of August. Do you have any recommendations on where to stay? We were thinking of doing 2 days in each. Maybe we should just make Charleston a day trip? I would appreciate your feedback
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:42 AM
OO

If anything I'd make Savannah the day trip, as Charleston has more to do, better shopping, better restaurants. If I were to base myself in one or the other, that would be it. I think your original idea of two nights in each is the best plan of all.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I'm partial to Charleston as there is more to do there. You may have difficulty finding a place, so you'll need to be flexible there as well. Personally, I'd find a base & explore from there...Prior ro children we did a Charleston/Savannah/Amelia Island/St. Augustine trip about the same time of year. It will be hot & muggy, there is no escaping it.

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI, the OP should be on her trip at this point, assuming they went. The post is a month old.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM
OO

My response was to lindsey, who this morning asked about info regarding which place to stay.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Hey, where did you end up going and what did you do? Hope you had a nice trip and things go well with your pregnancy!