Hilton Head versus Myrtle Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriends and I would like to plan a trip to South Carolina next summer. I am not sure whether to stay in Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach. We would like to take a day trip to Charleston. We are not looking to hang out at the bars, mainly beach, biking, miniature golf, good food, and more beach.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM

There are a whole bunch of nicer places than either of those.
A day trip from Pawley's Island/Litchfield to Charleston would be about an hour and a half. Further from HH.
GREAT places to eat and shop at Litchfield. Easy to get to.
MB is gridlock central
HH has little "soul"--sterile one note beach development.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 03:23 PM

I like Litchfield too! We go to HHI frequently as we really do like the gated areas with the safe bike paths all over the island. We think there are many great restaurants on the island with quality food. It is easy to take day trips from HHI - Charleston, Savannah, and Daufuskie are good choices.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM

LItchfield by the Sea is also gated--and 50 yards off of route 17--not miles!!
And you don't need to look at the same real estate over and over!!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 05:27 AM
cd

We just returned from HH. We stayed one week and enjoyed some of the best food ever! They have great restaurants! Savannah was 30miles away and we went for the day but Charleston was 2hrs away making that a 4hr round trip. There are a lot of golf courses but I did not see one miniature golf. If you want to SEE the beach you have to have beachfront. HH has huge tall trees and that is about all you see, even stores are hidden by the tall trees. AND dark, no street lights so if you are driving at night, you really have to know where you are going, thank heavens we had a GPS!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to visit Charleston, why not Kiawah Island? It's right there.

And if you have to go to horrible MB, at least make it the north.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM

OR even Wild Dunes for Charleston visit. Really so much nicer beaches and more interesting area than HH or MB!!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM

We have visited most of the SC & NC sea islands. Edisto is our favourite due to its mix of development and wildlife. Their are cycle tracks through State parks and wildlife everywhere, the downside is that the eating out isn't great.

Some islands are very wild but you will not get a coffee for breakfast. Others have coffee on every corner but to the loss of the natural environment. If you want the wildest ones head to GA south of Savannah, some are not safe just too many crocs.

In terms of tasteful development we really like Sullivans which is close to Charleston, you can take a ferry there. It also has a number of good eating places in its own right.

I have to agree with posts above MB is dire, just mile after mile of mini golf, mini marts and lower end restaurants.

We also like Wrightsville beach near Wilmington NC, it has a sports feel to it without being too developed.

In answer to your original question , Hilton Head is fine and a million miles away from MB.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM

There are miniature golf courses on HH. A great place to eat-for BBQ- is One Hot Mama's. Crazy Crab is also good!
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Gretchen, I am researching Myrtle Beach (never have been) after vacationing on HHI many times. From your posts, it seems that Litchfield Beach & Golf is THE place to go and from your description, perfect for my husband, myself and boys, ages 5 & 6. It's exactly where I would want to stay, while being able to drive in to do the kid stuff whenever we wanted to. But staying central does not sound good to me. So,, in looking at your suggestion, I have no idea if there is a special area of that resort you are referring to (and not referring to). For example, do you suggest Bridgewater over another building/area? Not sure where to target. Want to have short walk to beach.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 02:59 AM

HHI offers better biking with paths throughout the island including good biking on the beach at low tide.
HHI has a diverse and excellent restaurant selection in a smaller area than MB.
HHI tends to be a more adult destination while MB is a family vacation Mecca.
HHI has some miniature golf, but again in a smaller area than MB.

MB is closer to Charleston than HHI.
HHI is close to Savannah that has a good historic area.

The beach is about equal at both destinations.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:15 AM

At Litchfield there are buildings that are on the beach--Bridgewater,Cambridge, Fordham, ______, etc. I don't know what is for rent in these. There are also houses that are not a long walk which may be what you are referring to as "central". Is there a diagram. For example from our condo we have an ocean view but have a short walk to the beach because you cannot walk on the dune, but must cross with the boardwalks in front of the buildings. It is a beautiful area, and the activities available and the food choices are unrivalled.
All the areas have pools for them.