Canyon De Chelly National Monument

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Canyon De Chelly in June. Although we would like to go into the Canyon, time does not permit it on this trip.

My understanding is that there are roads above the Canyon from which you can view certain important sites. Can anyone, who may have traveled those roads, tell me if they are paved?

We will be driving a rental car, and as you all probably know there are certain restrictions on the type of roads upon which we are allowed to travel. Also, the car by its own nature will have certain restrictions as to what it can handle.

Thanks for any info.

jim
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:57 PM

You can drive on paved roads to see overlooks. If you want to do a more in depth visit, you need to have a tour guide.

http://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/things2do.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:01 AM

We had your same situation. The views from the rim road were beautiful and frustrating: sort of like looking at a looking at the world's most beautiful pastries through the window of a closed shop. Still worth it?
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:05 AM

There is one trail to White House Ruin that people are allowed to hike down to. The trailhead is at one of the pullout/parking areas on the road south of the canyon.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:59 AM

To fully enjoy the canyon you have to go in with a guide. The Holiday Inn is the best place to stay in town and the gift shop at the hotel books the tours. This experience is highly recommended.

HTtY
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought the views from above were ace, for example - http://gardyloo.us/canyonchelly2sm.jpg
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:08 AM

No matter how you do it, it is wonderful to view.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:48 AM

I agree. While you can look down into the canyon, you really should take a tour...as suggested booked from Holiday Inn. I didn't think our guide was that "tourist friendly" but the jeep trip was worthwhile seeing the ancient pictographs.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
After driving all the way there, please consider bring a Navajo guide to take you into the canyon. Adam Teller was our guide and I highly recommend him.
We rode in his Suburban or similar with another couple.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with the others. Go in the canyon with a Navajo guide. it's worth the time.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM

We drove along the rim and took the one trail down that is accessible from the rim. Canyon de Chelly as a canyon per se is not terribly impressive compared to other canyons in the southwest. If at all possible, I would take the hike down to the canyon floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4090302652/
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We rank Canyon de Chelly high among the southwest's canyons. When we were there most of the visitors were from other countries which surprised us.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Yes, road above the canyon are paved.
WARNING - parking lots are often adjacent to trees. Yes, Navajo kids do steal. Lock everything in your trunk leaving nothing in view - Just like Italy!
Navajo's self-employment policy requires a guide entry into the canyon. One exception. Walk down to white House.
If you have a high clearance vehicle, you can hire a guide to accompany you in your vehicle. Otherwise, just sign up for a tour.
It is worth the $$.
Suggestion: To understand the Indian/White Man trading post era, consider visiting:
http://www.nps.gov/hutr/index.htm

There are several motels nearby in Chinle - google them and make reservations ASAP

VAGA
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Yes, Navajo kids do steal. Lock everything in your trunk leaving nothing in view - Just like Italy!

This is shocking to read. One should never leave anything on view in a car no matter where it is parked. It is irrelevant that Navajos or Italians may be in the vicinity of the parked vehicle.

HTtY
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 06:52 PM

oh my! I with HTtY!

And this isn't much better - "Navajo's self-employment policy"

It is THEIR sacred land - who better to lead you through it?

sigh....
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM

It is irrelevant that Navajos or Italians may be in the vicinity of the parked vehicle.

True, but there are posted signs warning travelers, and the year we stayed there--admittedly a generation ago--the campground at the head of the canyon was surrounded by a high chain-link fence with a BLM police officer with a flashlight checking the I.D. of every individual entering it. I have not had that experience anywhere else.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:51 AM

One more thing. The dog sledding tour is possible because the guy lives up on the mountain to train/maintain their shape in the summer. He has about 60 dogs up there and about 20 of them will actually compete in the Iditarod race. Everything included the portable outhouse and dog poop is hauled out via the helicopter.
You would think the snow would have been dirty from 60 dogs. It was ultra-clean.