Search

Canyon de Chelly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canyon de Chelly

Hi, we have a day to kill between a business meeting in Phoenix and a concert in Albuquerque. I was wondering if it is worth visiting Canyon De Chelly if we would have only one afternoon there, and then the following morning...is that too short a time to see/enjoy it. This would be mid April. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 07:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
No, that would be fine.It is a wonderful place to visit.
You can only go down into the canyon floor with a Navajo guide. Adam Teller of Antelope Tours is the top guide; he drives a Jeep type vehicle. I highly recommend him and his tour
We didn’t didn’t want to go in a large flat back truck, sitting on a wooden bench with big group.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 04:39 AM

If you just want to look into the canyon from the north and south rims, that would be plenty of time. You also could hike down the one trail to Whiite House Ruin which is the only one you can go to without a guide.

We went with a guide from the VC who drove our rental car for the whole day. The trip was very worth it but we only had time to see about half of the park. That was several years ago and cost about $200.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, how many hours do you think we would need to make it worthwhile? and any recommendations of places to stay?
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:56 PM

You have plenty of time to visit Canyon de Chelly. We spent a few hours there in October on our way to southern Utah; we left Albuquerque in the morning and got to Chinle around 1:00.
You could spend the night there in Chinle or drive to Window Rock. There aren't a lot of options, and you don't want to risk running into deer on the highway at night.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:40 AM

Driving the north and south rims looking down is a very good way to see the canyon
>>> Bring binoculars
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Depending on how long you have for your afternoon and morning, it may work. Allow most of you time to the south rim. You can hike to the canyon floor and see White House cliff dwelling without a guide and see all of the south rim overlooks in a few hours.

the Best Western and the Holliday Inn are convenient, close to the canyon and clean.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:58 PM

The Holiday Inn is in a better, safer location and has a restaurant on site. . I would not stay at the Best Western there due it’s location.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Forgot
- When you park at any of the overlooks especially the north, hide all personal possessions in the trunk.
Park as far away from the trees as possible in a clear area.
Lock the car.
Why?
Within a few minutes, thieves can break into your car and take everything and vanish in the woods.

Vaga
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 08:59 AM

I have stayed at the Best Western as a single woman and found absolutely no safety issues. Also, there is a restaurant at Best Western. Best Western and Holiday Inn are both good choices. The only thing where Holiday Inn has an advantage is it is at the entrance to Canyon de Chelly and Best Western is about 5 minutes away from the entrance.

I have seen several posts in the past that would lead one to believe that their is a problem with thieves. I have never seen any evidence of this. While I lock my car no matter where I travel, I do not have a trunk so my possessions are always in plain view and I have never had a concern at Canyon de Chelly. As far as vanishing in the woods, seems that would be rather difficult since there are no "woods". It's high desert with sage and some random scrubby pinons.

I would hate to see you change your mind about visiting this beautiful area of the southwest based upon some random fear mongering,
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 01:10 PM

There are/were signs at the parking areas urging you to hide and lock your valuables to prevent theft.
I did not post those signs.
Theft is not unique to this park/monument - just a fact of life when traveling.
I had no problems at the canyon, but I'm cautious as I've been robbed and car windows broken in my travels.

Pinion pines can grow to 20 feet.
Those at Chelly range about 5-8 feet last time I was there.
Easy to disappear into.

Vaga
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, we're still trying to decide whether we have time to enjoy it properly or whether we'll just feel frustrated by having to rush away. We may stay at a Band B on the Zuni reservation instead...many options. Re the being careful in parking lots debate. I've seen that advice in almost every country we've gone to - probably just common sense in tourist destinations in general. Since we will be driving back from a business workshop we'll be packed to the gills anyway so no way to hide what is in the car.
In any case, we shall be sure to visit Canyon de Chelly, if not this trip then soon
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
The Holiday Inn is in a better, safer location and has a restaurant on site. . I would not stay at the Best Western there due it’s location.
what are your concerns?
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 02:19 PM

We like quiet settings for sleeping and the BW location was not quiet when we visited. Not the actual hotel but the area surrounding it.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

decision made

Thanks to all for your advice. We decided that rather than rush the visit we will come back at a time when we can give it a full day or more (we live pretty close so it shouldn't be a problem) My husband found what looks like a really fun hotel in Holbrook which would cut the drive in half so that is what the plan is. happy travels all
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 06:43 AM

You could have considered driving up through the beautiful White Mountains from Phoenix to Albuquerque, A half way stopping point would be Greer-a beautiful little hamlet set in the middle of a pine forest with the Little Colorado River running through it, and the fun Molly Butler (AZ oldest continuously operated inn). You could then continue on past Quemado and drive through El Malpais National Monument to pick up I-40 just south of Grants. Each leg is about 4 hours of driving and is scenic the entire way! You could rent a cabin for one night right on the banks of the river-highly recommend it!
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Odie, so many wonderful places to visit in our corner of the world. hopefully we will have many rambles ahead of us