St. Pete Beach - Re-Try

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:51 PM
marie

St. Pete Beach - Re-Try

Starting to plan a trip to St. Pete Beach for mid-June. Any comments about hotels, things to do, restaurants, etc. would be more than welcome.
Also, any places to AVOID would be appreciated.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Simone

Don't miss the Dali museum in St Pete. It's great!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
x

I second the Dali museum. It was fantanstic, and I am not a Dali fan. The cuban section of Tampa, and a greek town north of St Pete were also fun.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Melinda

While at the Museum which is in St. Pete and not St. Pete Beach...go walk around the Pier. Good Cuban restaurant there as well. That area has sweeping views of the bay and is a good place to spot dolphins.

I like Salt Rock Cafe north of St. Pete Beach in Indian Rocks Beach I think.

Walk south of St. Pete Beach to Pass a Grill for some wonderful sand and great water. Don Cesar (my favorite) or Tradewinds are the nicest hotels on the beach. The Hurricane in Pass a Grill is known for grouper sandwiches. Harry's beach bar is a nice hang out spot. Drive over to Fort Desota Park for some quiet beach areas to explore.

It will be quite hot and humid so napping midday would be my favorite activity.

Ted Peter's on the main drag going thru St. Pete out to St. Pete Beach is a little shack that has been there forever. They have wonderful smoked trout spread you can buy by the pint or eat there.

That area is full of families and older people. Bring some good books. If you drive up to Clearwater Beach for the day, stop at Sand Key by the Sheraton. It is a nice beach spot.

I would buy or bring some rafts as the water will be warm and being on a raft for hours is really nice in the calm waters.

Walk around the John's Pass Village in Madeira Beach. It has tacky little gift shops but is interesting to stroll around and see the fishing and tourist boats come in and out and all the pelicans.

I know the Devil Ray games are easy to get tickets for but I have no idea what you are into. When we are there, we just like to enjoy beach walks and look for shells and mostly relax and have a nice dinner. Lots of places to in line skate. Bush Gardens would be a busy day trip if you are into that. I think there is no better zoo around. There also is a wonderful water park near Bush Gardens in Tampa. The new International Mall in Tampa has every high end store you could want with a PF CHangs and Cheesecake Factory I believe. The aquarium there is okay.

You will be able to count on great weather. Bring #30 sunscreen.

Enjoy

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:27 AM
flagirl

Salt Rock Grille is incredible to go and eat. Also, go to Clearwater beach, Tarpon Springs <greek town> and go to Ybor City during the evening... there is also a holacaust museum in st. pete

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:22 PM
B.J.

I agree that Salt Rock Grill is THE place to eat. Awesome food! Other restaurants to consider: Boulevard Bistro, Guppys, Radisson Rustys on Sand Key, Frenchys on Clearwater Beach for famous Grouper Sandwich, Island Way Grille on Clearwater Beach (part owned by Salt Rock People)has Sushi, Great Tempura Shrimp, Outdoor dining (if its not too hot). Also, there is usually something going on in downtown St. Pete. Stop by the Vinoy hotel (upscale) but a drink on the Veranda or in the Bar is worthwhile. Visit the Pool Area too! If you are up for the best Brunch in St. Pete ($35.@) the Vinoy is awesome!!
Champagne included after 1 pm.
Fort DeSoto is also worth the trip- a very natural park at the South end of the county. There is also a place called "The Sandbar" at the Tierra Verde Boat Club on the way to Fort DeSoto Park that is nice and casual on the water. Also good grouper sandwiches. Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Mary

Have you checked out www.flausa.com? There's lots of info there.

Hope this helps.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:31 PM
marie

THANK YOU ALL for the great replies!!!!
We really appreciate it. You can "Keep'em Coming". But what about the hotels, does anyone have any comments? Now I feel I'm getting greedy.