Search

St Pete's or Tampa from Clearwater

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Pete's or Tampa from Clearwater

Hi there

We are staying in Clearwater for 2 nights. We arrive late on a Wednesday afternoon in January and planned to spend the rest of the day and evening in Clearwater.
We then have Thursday free, check out of Clearwter on Friday morning and drive up to Crystal River.
Question: With this limited tim, what would you do. Florida Aquarium? Ybor? Dali Museum? all of them?!
Would you go back to St Pete's/ Tampa on the Friday and spend the morning there and then drive straight up to Crystal River later in the day, or do we leave Clearwater early and drive up slowly taking in Dunedin, Trapon Springs etc?
So much to see, so little time!
Thanks for your input
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:00 AM
OO

Are you beach people? If so, I'd stay and enjoy Clearwater Beach, and possibly do the Dali, but yikes, forget about Ybor!!! Ick. Although I really enjoy the FL Aquarium, you just don't have enough time, IMHO.

Another thought for beach time is Ft Desoto just south of St Pete Beach. It's been high on Dr Beach's list of best beaches in the US every year, and was voted the number one beach in the US last year. (Once voted #1, it is excluded from the list for the next 10 years.) It is just beach and dunes, no city, so you'll need to bring your own snacks and beach equipment...towels, chairs, whatever. There are restrooms and changing areas.

I'm not sure if you realize that Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are two different cities. Clearwater Beach is on the Gulf, Clearwater is inland a bit, not the beach destination. Same is true for St Pete (no "s" on the end) and St Pete Beach.

On your driving day, yes, take a look a both Dunedin and Tarpon Springs, probably allowing more time for Tarpon Springs.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:22 AM

One nice stop would be in downtown St Petersbug, which has taken on quite a charm in the last few years. If you like good art, you could visit the Art Museum right on the water next to the famous Pier. It's usually better than Tampa's art museum. And while in that area, the Dali Museum is also close. Try that area in the morning, then drive to Tarpon Springs or Dunedin for a short visit and lunch, then on to your final destination. There are several good restaurants in the docks area of Tarpon Springs, but my favorite place to eat is Kelly's in downtown Dunedin.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Start at the Dali museum, then head to Tarpon Springs for a yummy Greek meal and then to Homosassa Springs to see the rescued manatees.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - you are so helpful

We will now go back into St Pete (thanks for correction) on the morning before we drive up North, and visit the St Pete and the Dali museums - they were both onmy wish list. I think I read there was a good bistro/ coffee shop in one of them?

Interesting about not to bother with Ybor - can you elaborate?

We will have to go to The Florida Aquarium as the boy child is adamant he wants to go to one, and on the journey through Florida we are on, the Tampa one sounds the best

Have noted Ft Desoto and will call by for a beach break

We are at Clearwater Beach - got a good hotel rate and it seemed like a nice place

Kellys or Tarpon Greek food - will decide on the timing we drive through

Thanks again -please any more comments are welcome
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Regarding Ybor, my wife and I just returned from a week in the Tampa area. We took the trolly over one evening around 6pm and we could not wait to get back on the trolly and get out of the area. It was a dump. It looked like an area where hookers would hang out. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hi OO!

Another local here, just want to say you seem to trying to fit too much into what is really a day sandwiched between two travel days.

Arriving Wed in CW Beach, you will probably want to check in and see the Gulf views from Clearwater Beach (there is a pier, lots of touristy shops etc). A good suggestion for supper is Bobby's Bistro, al fresco (with heaters if necessary!). Then Thursday you may not want to drive 45 minutes to Ft Desoto since you will have CWBeach at your doorstep. A closer non-touristy beach choice would be Honeymoon Island/Caladesi.

I would choose only one museum/aquarium (I vote for the Dali!) and do it Thursday afternoon or maybe Friday (but all the ones mentioned are not in the same direction as Crystal River). And Friday I would just head out, with stops in Dunedin and/or Tarpon as OO suggested.

Ybor City is more of a nightclub destination, and would be quite a long distance from your hotel. (Aquarium is the same distance - probably 45 mins-1 hour on congested roads).

By the way, there is a tiny, well respected aquarium very close to where you will be staying, called the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, where your man can get his water fix (especially if he loves turtles!):

http://www.cmaquarium.org/default.htm