Reload this Page >

Foliage route in early Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Ellen

Will be touring coast of Maine in late Sept., then returning to NH and VT first week of Oct. Would appreciate help with good foliage route and moderate range accommodations, not over $200, for 2 seniors.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Jen

Sorry, you can't plan a foliage route until later in the season. If you plan a route now, you might find that the peak foliage is actually farther north or south of your route, when the time comes.

Go ahead and pick you accommodations now (sorry, can't help with that), but be flexible about your routes and plan them in Sept. If you stay in the central parts of NH and VT, then at worst you'll have to head north or south for a half-hour to reach the peak areas.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:46 AM
gail

Contrary to popular opinion, foliage varies only by about a week to 10 days, and that can be easily remedied by just heading a little north or south. See websites 7almanac.com or weatherman.com for explanations. The first site gives general dates regarding certain areas.

Since your route will cover most of the foliage area, you should have a good shot at seeing some decent leaves. The vibrancy of the colors will vary by what kind of summer weather, particularly rain, we have - and the end can be hastened by a heavy monsoon. But with the differing topography and relatively short distances involved, you can make a reservation and then head N, S, E, or W or higher or lower elevation if you need to fine-tune it that much.

Sorry, can't help on accomdations - we live too close.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Ellen

Thanks for replies. Maybe I should re-word to say "most likely good foliage." We were thinking of Calais to Bangor to Bethel, but can't find very good selection of places to stay around Bethel. May be necessary to change the route. That's where I need help. Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:18 AM
bm

Are you talking about Bethel, ME?? There is lot's of lodging in that area. Try www.sundayriver.com
If you're talking Bethel, VT...thats another story. Try the Barre/montpelier area or White River Junction/W. Lebanon.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Ellen

The hotels at Sunday River Resort and the Briar Lea Inn in Bethel, ME, all look promising. Do you know anything about any of these? Thanks!