Special Dinner Salt Lake City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be celebrating (?) my 60th birthday whilst staying in Salt Lake City during our tour of the West.

Can anyone recommend somewhere special for dinner? We are staying in downtown SLC, which I believe is within walking distance of Temple Sq.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Dotty, will you have a car? If so, I suggest you drive up to Park City for your special dinner---there are lots of nice choices. YOu could go early and walk around the town, originally an old mining town and now a nice ski resort (but still a real town). If you want to consider that, you could re-post with "Park City" in the subject, and someone will come back with good suggestions.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Hi Dotty,

Are you staying in SLC for a reason? If you need to stay there, have your special dinner at Bambara, located in the Hotel Monaco. One of the very best restaurants in downtown. Temple Square IS downtown.

If you want to dine or stay in Park City (my town) write back and I've got many good recommendations for you!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM

If you're interested in a good restaurant with a view of Temple Square, you'll want to eat at the Roof. http://www.diningattemplesquare.com/roof.html

If you want seafood, you'll want to go to Market Street Grill http://www.gastronomyinc.com/msg/index.html

If you want a romantic dinner and have a car Log Haven is the place http://www.log-haven.com/index.html

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM

It's been a while but I don't recommend "The Roof" at Temple Square for you. It was in '97 (and as far as I know still is) alcohol free. In my opinion no such thing as a milestone birthday restaurant that doesn't at least serve champagne.

Teetotalers? Go for it. I had a great lunch there.

And Happy Birthday!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. We will have a car, but that would mean one of us?!! would not be able to have a "tipple"! We have read up on Park City and thought we would visit there while staying in Salt Lake. We have booked "My Little Cottage" for three nights - no special reason for visiting but just part of a fly drive we had planned.

BarbaraS - we love seafood and your suggestion of Market Street Grill might be worth a try.

Once again, your suggestions much appreciated.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Further to the above - I have been reading reviews on Market Street Grill and many of them complain of rude staff and poor service. Lots of these reviews were dated some time ago (2005).

Has anyone dined there recently and if so has the service improved? It seems there is no problem with the food, just extremely slow service and inattentive staff.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM

I haven't been to the Market Street Grill downtown, but had great service recently at the Cottonwood restaurant. Trip Advisor has some more recent reviews http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...City_Utah.html

It is definitely a very popular restaurant and would be very busy on a weekend night, especially if the Jazz are playing.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Barbara. I have read the reviews on the link you gave. The comments in general seemed very favourable with regards to the food, but still some comments about ambiance and service

My birthday falls on a Friday, so it probably will be busy wherever we decide to go.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM

Market Street Grill is fun--but it's very noisy and crowded. It it was for my 60th birthday, I'd much prefer Bambara in the Hotel Monaco. It's probably pricier, but the food is great and the atmosphere is much nicer. (I was there for my 50th birthday dinner.)

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kate. Think Dayle suggested there also. As we will have travelled so far for my birthday treat, what is a few more dollars give or take?!!

Will check it out. Thanks once again.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

Hi again Dotty,

Yes, if you want to stay in SLC, Bambara is the place. Impecable service, elegant atmosphere, expensive, but great, creative food. Make reservations for sure.

If you want to do your birthday dinner in Park City, several excellent places,
Glitritend at Stein Erikson's
Grappa on Main St.
are two of the very best

Happy birthday!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle - thanks for your recommendations. Looks like Bambara is the favourite. We should be able to have a drink without worrying about driving anyway.

We hope to get to Park City so if we have not totally overspent may get to try out one of your other recommendations!

Thanks very much for the birthday greetings too. Its a long way off but the way time is going it will be here. At least the anticipation of our trip will keep me going through the winter months.