Search

Spa advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spa advice?

Hi I was looking at Day Spas in Asheville for Labor Day weekend. The 2 that seem to come up the highest on Google searches are:

1. Spa Theology: http://www.spatheology.com/
2. Sensibilities: http://www.sensibilities-spa.com/dayspa.html

These two seem to offer reasonably priced (compared to Grove Park Inn) massages.

Do you have any advice for or against either or suggestions for others?

Thanks
-D
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:48 AM

I live in Asheville but have never heard of spatheology. Have gone to Sensibilities several times. They have 2 locations, one downtown and one in Biltmore Park - both nice.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:17 AM

One thing to consider - A massage at the Grove Park will give you access to the rest of their facilities, including the absolutely incredible grotto pool. If you want the whole spa experience and not just the massage, the Grove Park is wonderful.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:59 AM

ditto what starrsville has written. Friend of mine was gifted a massage but spent the whole day there lounging at the incredible pool, having lunch she said she "...felt like (she) was in another world."
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:56 AM

You might also look at L'eau de Vie in downtown Asheville. It's been around for a while:

http://leaudeviesalon.com/home.php
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I've had some treatments at L'eau de vie and I think of it more as a hair/nails/facials type place than a massage/salon type place.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM

http://www.groveparkinn.com/gallery/spa/MAINSPA

Check out this picture and the others. I promise you, when you get a massage at the Grove Park, you are also getting an amazing experience with access to the grotto pool, hot tubs, etc. I've had treatments all over the country. The massages are very good at the Grove Park. The experience is amazing. The only one that comes close is the 4S, Big Island.

But, still that grotto pool....
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM

"I've had some treatments at L'eau de vie and I think of it more as a hair/nails/facials type place than a massage/salon type place."

<Sigh> I figured some woman would correct me on that.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:00 AM

sorry Phan - not trying to be picky - it just doesn't seem like the massage place that she was looking for in her initial post.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I just saw an ad for Spa Theology - they are opening some time this month (August).
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks leahinsc, starsville and ThePhan for all the information. I am planning this trip for my husband and me for our 5 year anniversary. I was hoping to get a couples massage. L'eau de Vie looks more like a salon than a day spa. They're massage descriptions aren't detailed.

I agree that the Grotto pool at Grove Park is incredible. I didn't know you had access to that if you got a massage there. We stayed at the Grove Park a couple of years ago for my birthday and got to experience the Grotto area. It really is incredible. But the massages are almost twice as much as elsewhere. So I guess its just a matter of time and money, i.e. whether we want to spend the day there or spend the extra $120 (since its about $130/person for a 50 minute massage as opposed to $70/person for a 60 minute massage at Sensibilities).

Thanks leahinsc for letting me know that spatheology is new. That explains the lack of information available about it.

Do you have any opinions on this place: http://www.ashevillespa.com/

Thanks,
D
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I've seen it and know where it is but I've never been, nor have any of my friends. I've been to Sensibilities many times and have many friends who've been to GPI Spa - haven't done it myself. I've heard they do an awesome couples massage.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Nothing says you have to have a massage to get access to the GPI spa, have a manicure or pedicure. Perhaps more costly than such services elsewhere, but it does cover admission to the amazing facility.
I go to the GPI on a business trip about once a year. One of my colleagues and her husband have the couples massage each year and say it is definitely worth the cost.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:11 AM

oh, I totally thought of a great place for you!! Hope you look at this dhee - Shoji(shojiretreats.com)...they are in Fairview and have these private hot tubs that look off over the tops of trees. You can do couple massage there. Not far from downtown Asheville but you feel like a world away. My husband and I went for New Year's eve - not the massage just the tub, but it was great. Wrap your bottle of wine/champagne in something unbreakable and you'll be good to go.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM

and one more idea...Secret Garden Inn and Spa in Weaverville - 10 minutes from Asheville...www.secretgardennc.com