the best restaurant and Spa in the Asheville, NC area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my husband's birthday this week I would like to find the best restaurant in Asheville/Hendersonville area. We are new to this area so I need your help. We like French, Seafood and anything in quality that could be compared to TRU in Chicago or Le Bernardin in New York City. I am not looking for inexpensive dining but only one place where I don't mind to spend about $400.00 for two of us for such special dinner is TRU. Grove Park Inn is out. We had a dinner there but it was nothing spectacular.
Also can someone recommend a nice cozy spa where my husband can get his massage, facial, manicure and pedicure? I read somewhere that Grove Park Inn has a nice spa but it is very overpriced. Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Anyone can recommend the best reaturant in Asheville?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM

The spa at the Grove Park is pricey, but spectacular. I think it's one of the top 10 in the US. The grotto pool is just amazing.

I'm not sure you're going to find a restaurant in Asheville comparable to the ones you mentioned. I'll ask my Asheville friend for recommendations.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, gracieb. I'm going to make an appointment at the Grove Park Spa
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:43 AM

Hi Wildflower - You certainly have lovely taste in dining. I have been to both TRU and Le B and was thrilled with both of them. IMHO there is absolutely nothing anywhere NEAR comparable to those restaurants in the Carolinas. I can't even begin to think of a suggestion. YOu already know my preferences I think for more casual dining in Asheville.

I think you'd have to go to ATlanta to get anywhere close. There is actually a sister restaurant to Le B in Lenox Mall (of all places) called Brasserie Le Coze (after Guy Le Coze the late owner of Le B in NYC) It's very good, but also more casual...it's fine dining, but more traidional things like moules marineire, stuffed quail, etc. I have had a really, really nice piece of cod there. But it's not a "tasting menu" kind of place.

As for the spa, they have a nice website where you can look at photos and read the horrendous pricing and appalling policy of tacking on a MANDATORY 20% tip to your services. As with everything at the Grove Park, however, the setting is remarkable.

Sounds wonderful, if you find anything, do let us know.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 02:49 AM

Wildflower - I haven't been to any of the restaurants that you mentioned but have had fine dining in D.C and Atlanta and think that Richmond Hill Inn would compare in terms of service and quality. They have a "chef's choice" menu which would give you and your husband a choice of 2 different dishes for each of the 7(?) courses and you can do a flight of wine that compliments the dishes. It was fabulous ....
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Litespeed_Chick and Leahinsc. I just read description of the Gabriell's at Richmong Hill Inn. It sounds really great. I'll call today and find out more details. I will definietly keep in mind the Brasserie Le Coze in Atlanta for another less special occasion. Meanwhile I made reservation for massage in Hendersonville's spa. Litespeed_Chick you are so right about the Grove Park Inn. Did I ever let you know we had an awful dinner at the Gypsy Cab? Just terrible food and service. I still can't figure out how is it possible to have a great food there twice and shortly after that a very dissapointing meal.
Anyway, if you are interested I will let you know about our dining experience at the Gabrielle's.
In Flat Rock the Mary Mill Cox Inn has a good restaurant. Do you know anything about it?
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:10 AM

Wildflower - my sister-in-law lives in Hendersonville and I am looking for a good day spa to give her a gift certificate to. Nothing too posh or expensive but nice - any suggestions?
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:16 AM

Wildflower - add on about Richmond Hill Inn - it consists of different rooms as dining areas. We ate in one that was rather dark so you may want to ask for a specific area -i.e. porch or near piano. Also, tell them it is a special occasion. I guess we had the "Grande Menu"...hope you enjoy as much as we did.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:27 AM

Wildflower--
Since someone threw out Atlanta, would you consider it a bday destination? It's less than 5 hrs from Asheville so it is doable in a weekend. We don't have any spas comparable to Grove Park Inn's but there are some lovely day spas around here. The Intercontinental Hotel recently opened and I would imagine theirs is wonderful...The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton is fabulous and Bacchanalia is probably the highest-rated restaurant in the city. I'm still trying to get my husband to take me to Bacchanalia so can't speak from personal experience though I have friends that are foodies and they rave about it.

OWJ
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM

Richmond Hill Inn is where you want to go - if the Grove Park is out.

Note that Horizons at the Grove Park Inn is generally considered the best restaurant in Asheville. It's arguably the best restaurant in North Carolina. However, Horizons is expensive. Expect to pay around $250 (including tip) without a bottle of wine.

The best value is clearly Tupelo Honey Cafe. Everything I've eaten there is delicious and most entrees are under $15. After you've had the special dinner, come here!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
GoTravel

I try to stay out of this one because I'm partial to The Grove Park Inn and Mr.GoTravel may be guest chefing there next month but, you really can't beat the spa. It is world class and prices reflect that.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for so many suggestions.

Not only we are going to celebrate my husband's birthday at the Gabriell's of Richmong Hill but we also going to spend one night there.

Leahinsc, the spa I refered to has been recommended here some time ago by Litespeed_Chick. I used this place twice already. Check out their website www.fountainofyouthdayspa.com It is located on Kanuga Street, the entrance is on Israel Street.

GoTravel, really? Mr. GoTravel is going to be in Grove Park? Tell us more about it. Please! When, where, why, how?
As to the spa at the Grove Park Inn I just got an idea, for my birthday I am going to book there the longest massage for myself but I have to wait until September

OWJ, I will keep your suggestions for our first visit to Atlanta in March.

2bamafan, for this special dinner $250.00 doesn't seem too much. I am willing to spend this much or much more. I read previous recommendations on this board for Tupelo Honey Cafe. They do not take reservations and I just hate to wait in line for a table at any restaurant.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM
z

We are staying at Richmond Hill Inn in March. Will post review if you are interested in it.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Wildflower -

Please do give us a report on your dining experience at Gabrielle's. I have heard conflicting reports, most of them good. I gave my parent's a gift cert for a weekend there 2 years ago, and my Mom said some courses were brilliant, but the restaurant made a couple of serious mistakes: they burned my Mom's fish on one side, and so presented it w/ the burned side down and they served her dessert w/ a pool of melted ice cream...apparently somebody got their timing a bit off. She said it was very ambitious and it was the first night of a new seasonal menu so they may have been having opening night jitters, as it were. Anyhow, that's why I haven't been, I'm waiting for somebody else to drop the cash and give me a review! Thanks for volunteering, WF ;-)

Oh, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the day spa in H'ville. Also, i did see your post about Gypsy Cab. That kind of stuff is frustrating, no? And, no, I have never heard of Mary Mill Cox, do tell!

2bamafan: Have you actually eaten at Horizons? I've never gotten a good first-hand review of the place. I think it's definitely the most EXPENSIVE restaurant in NC, but I've never heard anyone say the BEST. If you've been, do you mind setting down a review with as much detail as you have time for? Thanks.

GoTravel: I would be SO interested to hear what your husband has to say if he does a stint in the kitchen at GPI. The lunch I had there was so poor I just can't imagine that there is not a systemic lack of interest in food quality at the hotel. It's one thing when a chef has an off day (don't we all), but when purchased ingredients (cheese for example) are obviously very low quality, it scares me off. I'll be very interested to here your "personal chef's" take on this.

We got a gift cert for GPI for x-mas, so I'm thinking I may try to force (and it will take some serious force) my husband to get a manicure w/ me so we can both enjoy the amazing pool area one winter day when it's too nasty to bike.

Happy Holidays to all!

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM
GoTravel

Litespeed, unless you are in the food business, you would not beleive the HUGE difference between restaurants and hotel Food & Beverage.

For years, hotel F&B has been a money losing industry and this is so accepted that it creates a laizes fair attitude that breeds mediocrity. Because serving food was such an afterthought for hotels for so long, quality was a minor issue.

Now with the competetiveness found in the hotel industry, hoteliers are finding they must make money in other ways which is forcing the industry to rethink the F&B side of things.

Now hotels are leasing out their space to individual restauranters. This trend was started in NYC hotels where space is at such a premium the hotels could no longer afford to support restaurants hemoraging cash but still had to maintain F&B outlets in order to maintain ratings.

This approach has trickled down to large chain hotels leasing space or partnering with Outback Steakhouse, TGI Fridays, Pizza Hut, and other such restaurants.

The Grove Park Inn has had problems for some time. They have a wonderful and talented Executive Chef but unfortunately things can be hit or miss.

In the restaurant business you must be dead on 100% of the time and quality is your number one issue. Think about this, how many times have you gone back to the same restaurant that has horrible service but fantastic food? The Soup Nazi in NYC is the best example of that I can think of.

One more thing. If you have fantastic food in a restaurant, you may tell a couple of people. If you have a bad experience, you'll definitely tell 20.

I'll let you know what and when so you can introduce yourself.

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Litespeed Chick - too bad about your mom's bad experience at Richmond Hill - hopefully she complained? We ate there for my birthday in August and the food and service was flawless.
Go Travel - It seems like GPI's emphasis is on quantity for the masses,i.e. tours, conventions, rather than quality. I ate there recently at their much discussed seafood buffet and was turned off by the quantity of mostly mediocre food that they paraded people by ooo-ing and ahh-ing.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Leah - my parents aren't very good complainers...how they raised me is a mystery ;-)

They did say the breakfast at Richmond HIll was really good. In fact they were still talking about this week...they wanted to give me a gift cert there, just so I could have breakfast, but I assured them for the lodging $$ I would rather have GPI!

BTW, have you had breakfast at Sunny Point Cafe on the westside?
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

The most important, thank you Leah for your recommendation. It was even more satifying experience than we expected. We arrived at the Richmond Hill Inn in time to check in to our Croquet Cottage before afternoon tea with pastry. Everything was flawless. Beautiful setting, pastry, service, everything. Almost perfection. Gabrielle’s afternoon tea is served on the sun porch. It included chocolate almond biscotti, cucumber and cheese sandwiches, orange vanilla bean scone with fresh fruit preserve and chantilly cream, garden herb scone, palmers, brie cheese, gingerbread and pumpkin torte, grapes. It seems like a lot but these were tiny sizes.

The mansion is old charming, beautifully restored and spotless. As it was very windy and cold that afternoon we returned to our cottage to enjoy it before it was time to get ready for dinner.

We both chose, Grande Menu, five course tasting menu. I figured if we weren’t happy with a food I could always blamed on Leah, after all she is the one who suggested it. Another perfection. In comparison to Tru and Le Bernardin on a scale 1-10. Tru wins hands down so it deserves 10 plus, Le Bernardin 9 and Richmond Hill Inn 8. Every single dish was excellent, not a single disappointing thing. We were sitting near the piano player and listen to his soft music. As requested, Christopher Leonard played Chopin for us. The evening was an exilarating experience for my husband. These are his words. We would return there in a heart beat. So now along with Leah I too won’t hesitate to recommend Gabrielle’s for an exceptional experience. We returned to our cabin to turned down bed with Godiva chocolates on the pillows, fresh towels and soap. We were counting on wonderful rest. Unfortunately the blankets were so heavy that we did not get the rest we were hopping for.

The next morning breakfast was served at the Garden Pavilion. My husband fully enjoyed his breakfast. Another disappointment here was my French Toast. I asked myself, what was that, dry old cinnamon bread plopped on the topped of something resembling an egg. My husband’s coffee and my hot chocolate were just right. After breakfast we took a walk on their 0.7 mile trail. I can only imagine how lush are the woods and how colorful gardens are in a summer. We left before 11 am satisfied with overall experience. It was a great choice for my husband’s birthday. Thank you again,Leah.

Litespeed_Chick, Mary Mill Cox restaurant is located on route 25 in a beautiful historic Inn. It is closed until the end of January
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Wildflower - yeah! glad you had an (almost) perfect time. Thanks for the mouth watering descriptions!!! Will look for your advice on similar adventures.
I took your(?) advice and got my sister-in-law a gift certificate to Fountain of YOuth Day Spa.
Litespeed Chick - Yes, have been to Sunny Point - very good...I had something like a polenta cake on top of wild greens with goat cheese that was yummy as is their bread and soup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -