Help with Kauai Honeymoon Plans for June 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites! Mom here trying to help daughter plan her honeymoon trip. As a family we have been to Hanalei several times and rented homes but daughter thinks they want to try Poipou. She found a pkg. on Expedia for 5 nights at the Sheraton and airfare for $2900 but I told her she should look around. The garden rooms are $260 so that works out to $1300 for the room and $1600 ($800 each) for the airfare.

Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:48 AM
sistahlou

Check with Starwood.com for discounts off rack rates.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I have not stayed in the Shearton's Garden rooms, but reports the last few years are that they tend to be old and moldy and are across the road from the beach. However, the ocean front rooms get excellent repots.

Also, the Hyatt in Poipu has garden rooms for $249 a night on the Stay Certificates, reported here by members.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/ConsumerCerts.aspx You need to check if your dates are available for the certificates before ordering them.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

MBnancy, the link didn't work. Thanks for the tips on the Sheraton. I've been doing some research here this morning and found a nice link to some affordable rentals as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Ronda,

When is your daughter getting married and where is she flying from? I just checked Orbitz for flight + hotel and you can get either Sheraton or Marriott (very nice, we stay there) for $1545pp for United nonstop from Los Angeles plus room.

Hope they have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

They are flying out of Sacramento into Lihue. Leaving June 23 returning June 28.

Hmm, $1545 pp. I wonder if the $2900 amount she gave me was pp or for the two of them? She is new at this.

Thanks so much for your reply.

So you like the Marriott. But isn't it a timeshare these days?
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:32 AM

Hi Ronda
For the link that MBnancy sent, you have to include the https before the www part. Clicking on the highlighted link in the response won't work--so copy, then paste, the entire URL with the https included--it will come up with the Hyatt certificates info.
Hope this makes sense and isn't too ocnfusing.
Since your daughter wants to try Poipu, if she and finace want a resort hotel, I'd chose the Hyatt over either the Sheraton or the Marriott Waiohai in Poipu. Of these, I've stayed only at Hyatt, but had drinks at the other two properties, so can't judge rooms in Sheratorn or new Marriott. You're right, the Poipu Marriott is mostly time shares, but i think they have hotel-type bookings available too.

$800 pp airfare from Calif seems awfully high, even in "high" season. Maybe wait a couple months to book ??
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Sorry about all above typos. Thinking about Hawaii distracts me!
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Any chance the kids would be willing to fly out of Oakland instead of Sac'to? True, it'd add almost two hours travel time, but could save $400or $500 on the RT fare for the two of them, as Aloha and ATA fly out of Oakland
Have you tried pkgsthrough Pleasant Hawaiian (plane and hotel inc) or if you're brave, Suntrips?
Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips Calinurse. No, haven't looked into the pkgs. you suggest.

I thought $800 sounded high, too, so checked with friends that went last year end of May. They aren't fare shoppers. They paid $800 on United.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Hi Ronda, we went to Lihue from LAX in June for 500 bucks each. We got our tickets from lastminutetravel.com. When I checked the same website for the end of July (last month-I was ready to go again!), the prices were about $750 each. You could probably get a 100 dollar p/p fare on Southwest from SAC to LAX and then a cheaper fare from LAX to LIH.

Airlines are often running specials to Hawaii. Get on United's fare alert or any of the big travel agency lists.

When you consider what is happening today in airports around the world, I think a lot of people are going to be turned off of flying anywhere for a little while anyway. Prices may decline. If I were you, I'd absolutely wait at least until the beginning of next year to book the flight and I'd keep my eyes open for fares too good to pass up.

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We paid $750 for summer airfare from LAX direct to Lihue. Got a good package deal from American Airlines vacations, including hotel, flight and car at http://www.aavacations.com/

Calinurse is correct. You need to type the http:// before the www on the Stay Certificates.

One tip if you are doing airfare alone, is to wait until January to book the flights. The rates seem to be at the lowest at that time, and you will see them go up after that.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Hi Ronda,
I would like to know about the homes you rented. How did you find them? This is something we would consider for our family. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Here is one we rented:

http://www.kauai-vacation-rentals.co...lei/harper.htm

It was through North Shore Properties. Here is the main page:

http://www.kauai-vacation-rentals.com/vacationrentals

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Ronda, thanks so much!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

You're welcome. Still waitin and watchin for those airline fares to come down. Checking on some condos rather than large hotels. Got quite a few good leads here and on tripadvisor. Looking at

Poipu Palms
Hideaway Cove Villas
Turtle Cove and
Sealodge on the North Shore

Daughter says they aren't stuck on Poipu just thought it might be nice to try a different area. I don't think she is going to like it after having been to the North Shore every other time.

The hotels all seem rather expensive - Sheraton starts at $200 or $250 for a garden room.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM

My husband & I went to Kauai for our honeymon last year. We preferred the north shore (Hanalei) over the south, but the Hyatt is wonderful. We got a good deal through American Airlines vacations for our flight from LAX to Lihue and the Hyatt Poipu.

$800 seems awfully high for west coast airfare to Hawaii. We paid about $400 a piece last year and this year found tickets for $375 to Maui out of San Diego.

Sandra
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandra. What month were you there?

I have been watching the airfare but guess I wasn't fast enough as I see Aloha had a sale for next June when I wasn't looking.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Suerich68

Ronda,

Is price really an issue? I thought you were shaking down the wedding guests to pay for the honeymoon.

They can probably go first class if the wedding is large enough.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Oh you are so funny Sue! Excuse me while I get the stab wound in my back bandaged!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -