Asheville, NC - downtown hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a girlfriend's weekend trip to Asheville for the end of July/early August. So, the romantic inns are out and it looks like it's worthwhile to stay downtown. Any thoughts about that? We're also looking at the Renaissance or Hayward Park hotels? Any thoughts or recommendations?
TIA
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM

I love the Haywood Park. The rooms are large and very comfortably furnished. There can be noise from the streets during festivals, etc. There is a first class restaurant in the basement, The Flying Frog. On street level there is a bar annex to the restaurant. Very nice and well situated. I haven't stayed at the Renaissance in a few years, but it was just generic hotel, nothing special.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Cassandra

As you may find if you do a quick search on Asheville hotels, many people aren't really enthusiastic about staying RIGHT downtown, although the endorsement for the Hayward Park is worth taking seriously.

There are a lot of chains in the corridor directly north of the city beyond the Renaissance and beyond, but it's a fairly soul-less area. My preference would probably be to stay south of the city, not far from Biltmore Village -- again, some chains there, but being closer to Biltmore Village has merit, and you aren't that far from downtown. There's a Doubletree, among others.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM

If you are considering a spa visit during your stay in Asheville, the Sensibilities Spa is very near the Haywood Park Hotel. Another wonderful spa is the Secret Garden in Weaverville, a short drive away. Of course, Grove Park spa is magnificent, but me, I would rather save those $$$to spend on shoes at TOPS in Asheville.
Have fun!
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM

My wife & her buddies tend to migrate to the Grove Park. An awesome spa w/golf, a nice pool & good eats, all in one spot.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Grove Park is pricey.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM

No argument here, but you may be able to find deals in the Summer + I'm thinking they can double or triple up.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM

My wife and I have stayed at the Haywood Park on numerous occassions. We think the downtown is great and would encourage you to stay there. Lot's of restaurant choices, good galleries and antique shops. If you want to go the the Biltmore or to a spa, you can hop in your car and do that from downtown too.