Search

SOUTHERN BELLE - NOT!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:47 AM
RLA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOUTHERN BELLE - NOT!

The thread regarding accents made me think of the following: (BTW, why is is that thread locked-down?) If anyone caught the premier of The Bachelor last night with funny Bob, please know that the girl who played up the Southern Belle thing - (didn't catch her name)is no true reflection of a true Southern Belle. She may be a wonderful girl, but she took cheesy to a whole new level in both her accent and content of what she said. Please! She made me want to crawl under my couch, and I'm sure other Southerners were as aghast as I was. Amazingly, she made the cut. My comments are not meant to be mean-spirited whatsoever. Just defending my heritage which is so often misrepresented.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Shows like The Batchelor take cheesy to a whole new level! Surely no one in their right mind would ever think that anything portrayed on these so called "reality shows" is actually indicative of the way things really are??
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:46 AM
PCHsmiles

Just a wonder - would each of what I think of as the three faces of Eve posting here exhibit a different accent if one could hear them all?

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:55 AM
RLA
Original Poster

irishdame - Of course they do! At least in part. Where do you think stereotypes come from? I agree with your implication that the reality "entertainment" shows are not an academic study.

In my reading preferences, I prefer non-fiction over fiction, generally dislike the current dose of reality shows, yet admit to somewhat enjoying the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows. Go figure. I don't know what that says about me. I liken the B/B shows to watching Miss America as a little girl as a family and narrowing it down to the winner. Just a game - nothing heavy. BTW, I'm not fond of board games. Guess I'm full of contradictions!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM
jor

The Bachelor/Bachelorette is "Jackass" for women. LOL
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:49 AM
RLA
Original Poster

jor - LOL. I have laughed my head off at a couple of jackass videos. More importantly, I find most of it disturbing as well as the copycat kids who have been injured or killed. IMO, the best ones were the harmless funny ones (not many), but I only saw a few. Too bad it went over the top.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:09 AM

First off, one person from the south cannot be the epitomy of what people think all southerns are like. I didn't see the show, but this is what I believe. I do not assume that just because I've met a rude or crass person from the north, that all northerns are rude or crass. I've also met some really smart blondes and really dumb brunettes...LOL!

As far as reality shows are concerned, I think a lot of the people on them are aspiring actors/actresses who want to be seen.

And concerning shows like "Jack Ass" and "Fear Factor" I believe people are rather strange if they find these funny or entertaining... I just don't understand getting any enjoyment out of watching people almost kill themselves or eat gross stuff. I have seen just enough of these types of shows on their promos or the news to know they aren't for me. I even think some of the videos on "America's Funniest Home Videos" are in bad taste when people were injured. When I see a guy getting hit in the groin by a hard object (or by falling on something), my first instinct is NOT to laugh, but to say "OUCH!"
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:16 PM
RLA
Original Poster

heartburn - I think most people would agree with you - wholeheartedly.