Broadway shows

Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Broadway shows

what plays and/or musicals are you all enjoying right now? We'll be in NYC at the beginning of Sept.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM

Lion King is INCREDIBLE!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

There is more this year than I have seen in a long time, and depending on your tastes there are the longtime favorites and a few new ones that have opened.

Try www.playbill.com for the most updated info on what's new, opening, closing and hot!!

Have a great time.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

There is something for everyone right now, so it really depends on your tastes. Can you give examples of shows you've enjoyed in the past?
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

yes, I'm on all the email lists (Playbill, etc) to see what shows are playing, and for the discount tickets... just looking for personal recommendations!

In the past have enjoyed: Les Miz (3 times!), Kiss Me Kate, Annie Get your Gun, Phantom, Cabaret... I guess most of the big-name shows- we do enjoy the musicals.

Also some plays, such as The Real Thing, Blithe Spirit, The Wild Party, The Life (those last two were something!).

Wondered about Avenue Q, Spelling Bee, Martin Short, etc. thanks!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM

It sounds like you like a lot of the same ones that I did. I'd highly recommend Avenue Q and The Producers. Avenue Q especially if you're from the Sesame Street generation--or a parent. Spelling Bee was cute--I'd give it a 7. It has the potential to be a 9, but just misses. I thought The Lion King was not good. First two or three minutes with costumes is awesome; the rest is lame. My son and daughter-in-law thought Wicked was terrible.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:06 AM

If you enjoy the big, splashy musicals, you will LOVE Hairspray. I finally saw it a few months ago, and it's one of the most fun shows out there, I think. You'll have a great time!

For a play, the Lieutenant of Inishmore is fantastic. It's a hilarious, dark, satirical comedy.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM

I just saw HIstory Boys lasy night and enjoyed it. It'sd very well written and an interesting production.

I actually loved both Wicked and Lion King quite a bit. In fact I thought Lion King was probably the most creative show I've ever seen.

If you want some upbeat and lively, than Hairspray is the show.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM

If you like musicals and are in town on a Friday night, you MUST go to THE AFTER PARTY. It's FREE and it's at The Laurie Beechman Theatre at the West Bank Cafe on the corner of 42nd Street and 9th Ave.

I went their opening night and SHOSHANA BEAN, who starred on Broadway in WICKED as Elpheba, was the special guest. Last week, they had LAUREN MOLINA, who plays JOHANNA in SWEENEY TODD. It's open-mic, so anyone can get up and sing. They have TONS of sheet music onstage, so you just choose what you want and hand it to the awesome pianist. NOT ME, though! But my friend sang!

Anyway, the host is a hysterical guy named BRANDON CUTRELL. It's a total NEW YORK night, so I highly recommend it. AND DID I MENTION IT'S FREE?!?!
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your suggestions- Hairspray sounds like a winner, and "The After Party" sounds fun!
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Ike

My wife loved Hairspray but I really liked Jersey Boys who won several Tony awards.............
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM

Ike, sadly, it's unlikely the OP can get tickets for Jersey Boys in September without paying an exorbitant price.

But I too loved it (one of my new favorites!) and would highly recommend anyone who can plan several months in advance.

Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Neopolitan

The Drowsy Chaperone!

Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

I'm not familiar with the Lieutenant of Inishmore or the Drowsy Chaperone (great names!). I'll check them out- thanks!
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:16 AM

If you're coming in a month, the most popular tickets (Jersey Boys, Spamalot, Wicked, Lion King) are probably not an option but there are loads of good alternatives.

I'm a big fan of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Thought it was hysterical (much funnier than the movie) with great costumes, scenery and Broadway "splash". There are discounts available too.
http://broadwaybox.com/shows/dirty_r...c_tickets.aspx

I recently saw Avenue Q and thought it was "cute". Sesame Street for adults. I felt the same about Spelling Bee. Seems like a clever off Broadway revue.

If you want a drama, see the History Boys.
http://broadwaybox.com/shows/the_his...c_tickets.aspx
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:24 AM

If you're coming in September, keep an eye out for "Season of Savings." It's a discount program that happens every fall. There is a book that gets distributed locally, but there's also a website where you can find the offers.

Looking at the website (seasonofsavings.com) it doesn't seem to be updated for this fall. However, you can sign up for email updates.
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Oops, meant to add that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels would also be a great choice! It's another big, fun musical, and is very clever and funny.
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

great ideas, thanks to you all. I will print out lots of the discount coupons and bring them with me (we're not much for tying ourselves down ahead of time).
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
emd

I have discount tickets to Phantom (somehow in all my many business and pleasure trips to NYC over the years, I have not seen it), Wedding Singer, and Drowsy Chaperone for a long weekend in late August. I don't think of it as tying us down, I think of it as doing research ahead of time and figuring out what we would like (w/help from some great NYC fodorites) and getting great discounts for the best seats available, instead of tying up our time in the city by getting last minute tickets. I used broadwaybox.com
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
emd

apatinage, what time does the After Party start? Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO