Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York Theater "Little Women" and "Good Vibrations"

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about "Good Vibrations". I see that it is opening the end of January and I wondered if anyone had seen a preview performance. Also what about "Little Women". I am planning a May trip to New York and I like Sutton Foster, but haven't heard too much about "Little Women".
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM

This is what I wrote about "Little Women" when I saw it in previews at Duke.

Author: ncgrrl
Date: 10/28/2004, 12:01 pm

Message: I went and saw "Little Women - The Musical" last night. I have no background in theater and read the book many years ago.

First, thanks to the folks here, because I missed reading about it in the newspaper and haven't seen any ads for it. I guess that's the same for other Durham residents because the show isn't a sell out.

As I was leaving I overheard a couple of people saying "good music, but I don't remember any of the lyrics". I'm not sure if that's a make or break because I don't know the lyrics to many shows.

Sutton Foster (Jo) is the main character. She does a great job with the role. I've never seen her work before, but she won a Tony award of "Thoroughly Modern Millie". She is the lead and all the other characters are in support of her. I wish Maureen McGovern (Marmee) had more to do in the production, but she does have solos in both acts. However, I really wanted her to sing the theme from "Ice Castles" but that wouldn't have been in keeping with the production.

The hardest role (for me) was Amy. If you're familiar with the book, she starts out as a bratty child and ends up married by the end. It's a hard role for the actress (sorry, I don't remember her name) because the actress looks like she's 13 and did bratty well.

I had a couple of script/technical problems I hope are fixed before Broadway. In one scene, Mr. Lawrence (Laurie's grandfather) mentions his daughter was Laurie's mom. If she is, why then is Laurie name then X.X. Lawrence III. Also with Mr. March. In the middle of Act I, Marmee heads off to tend to her injured husband. Nothing else is said of him until the end of Act II when his carriage is to arrive. A sentence or two more about where he's been would have helped me.

I have a feeling the scene with Jo and Beth when Beth is dying set at the beach will get cut because it's the only scene set there and it could be a $$savings to the production.

The part I enjoyed the most was the opening of Act II where Jo is in NY imaging one of her stories as a play while other cast members act it out. This scene uses all 10 members of the cast.

I think if the show opens on Broadway, it will do well. It's family friendly and in a few years it will become a high school theater staple.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM

ncgrrl - Thanks for sharing your review. While the reviews during the preview were mixed, they have made some changes to improve the show. My daughter and I are going to go to NYC in March and definitely want to see the show just because of Sutton Foster. I saw Sutton on the today show the other morning and she sang a song from the show. Of course, she was amazing. I think the show will do OK because of the star and because it's a good show for the family.

On the other hand, I have heard that Good Vibrations is very bad. Would be interested to know if anyone has seen it.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I hope Little Women hangs around long enough for me to take my two daughters to see it. They are huge fans of the book and every movie version of the story. When is it opening?
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM

"Little Women" is in preview now and it's official opening is January 23rd.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I saw Little Women the weekend before Christmas and I was not particularly impressed. Have not seen "Good Vibrations" yet.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:19 PM

My son and I saw "Little Women" last week, and enjoyed it very much. Sutton Foster does a terrific job as Jo, with the perfect amount of spunk and verve you expect from that character. It has some wonderful songs, and Maureen McGovern, who is very good as Marmee, has a couple of especially lovely ones. I loved the scenes where Jo is reading and acting out her stories, while on a catwalk over her head the characters from the stories are acting them out and singing them in synchronicity with her - it's very effective.

I was a little disappointed that a few of the plot elements were changed (i.e. Amy and Laurie return from Europe merely engaged, not yet married, and a big wedding is planned), and a couple of other things were different as well, but if I hadn't already known the story so well I would not have known the difference. I know they had to leave a few things out, as the book is long, so they had to condense parts of the story. Also, I didn't understand why Professor Bhaer had an English accent instead of a German one - it seemed to imply he was a professor who merely teaches German, rather than one who is German. I thought that his relationship with Jo was more contentious than it should be. But these are minor quibbles; on the whole it is a very good show, and I recommend it (my teenage son, who knows a lot about musicals, really liked it, too - in fact, since he doesn't know the story as well as I do, he was probably less critical about the plot changes). I hope it will be a success - the show was almost sold out, and we ended up buying full price tickets (I'd hoped to get them at TKTS, as they had been available there the week before), but it was during the holidays. And ncgrrl, they did not cut the scene at the beach with Beth and Jo after all.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Judging from the last two posters, this shows why "Little Women" is getting mixed reviews. Actually after I posted earlier, I was speaking to my daughter who does musical theater and we were talking about getting our tickets for March. One of her best friends (also does musical theater) just moved to NYC for some work. She saw "Little Women" the last night and was very disappointed. As much as the friend loves Sutton Foster, she told us not to waste our time seeing it. So that adds another person to the list of those not impressed. I think we will still try to see it but I am not sure now if I want to rush to buy full price tickets.