Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Broadway Show, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or the Producers

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family including an 11 year old is considering attending one show on an upcoming trip to New York. We saw the Lion King and Hairspray on our last visit and enjoyed both shows very much. Our 11 year old wants to see something new this time.

I don't know much about these shows other than a rough idea from glimpses of the movies and that they are popular. Would either be appropriate for an 11 year old and more importantly be enjoyable? Any preference between the two? Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM

While I love them both, I'd vote for The Producers for the 11 year old over Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Both have some pretty "adult" scenes, just so you know, but while The Producers is about a lot of things -- mainly putting on a show -- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is all about getting laid.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:01 PM

If it'll bother you that your son will hear the "F" word, then go to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. It's used once--and you won't miss hearing it!--in The Producers.
Otherwise, either show is quite entertaining.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I've seen both with the original cast. And, we loved both! I will say that if I couldn't seen Nathan and Matthew in The Producers, I'd highly recommend Dirty Rotten Scoundrels while the cast is still there. Norbert was positively the funniest person that I've ever seen on Broadway or anywhere for that matter! It makes for an entertaining night!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I'm not too worried about the F word as I'm sure my son hears that and more at school. Also with the way tv and the movies are today, he is exposed to much more than I ever was at 11. Of course a lot of it goes over his head but I'm surprised sometimes at what he does get.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Producers, since as Patrick said its about putting on a show. But I plan on putting it to a family vote before buying tickets. I just wanted to get a feel as to which one would be more entertaining.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM

After reading your latest posting, I think I'd recommend The Producers. Both shows are very entertaining, but I think your son will probably enjoy The Producers more.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Both shows are very good. I saw The Producers in LA with Martin Short and Jason Alexander-they were funny-and I did enjoy the show. However, I loved Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I agree with twobluecats that Norbert Leo Butz's performance is hysterical and one of the funniest I have ever seen. Both shows are adult topics, though. I think my daughters enjoyed DRS more although they were older teenagers.

Just as a side note. Don't when you are going to NY but John Lithgow is leaving DRS in Jan 2006. I enjoyed his performance, too, so if you are a fan of his you might want to take that into consideration. I would probably pick DRS before Butz leaves the show (he can't stay there indefinitely).
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Oh, God, I loved The Producers a few months ago. It was raunchy, but the whole gay thing was bigger than anything. Mel Brooks has a way of insulting everyone across the board, god bless him. As a musician, i thought the score was outstanding! Wish myt 15 yr old had been there.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM

I haven't seen DRS but did see The Producers here in the UK and it was one of the best nights entertainment I've had. Totally un-politically correct and even better than the film IMHO.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:23 AM

In my opinion (if it worth anything both shows are good, The Producers is better and funnier.
And you'll find discounts for both shows in www.broadwaybox.com
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a lot of fun, but since it will likely be around for a while, I'd wait on that one...your son would probably find it funny now, but hilarious when he's a few years older! Producers is a great choice.