NY Theater Questons, Patrick, Howard and others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I are planning a May trip to New York. So many plays, so little time.
We are interested in"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", "Little Women" and possibly "All Shook Up" or "Good Virbrations".
Have never attended an off broadway show, but "Altar Boys" and "We're Still Hot" look promising. I see that "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Little Women" are discounted on Playbill, but I doubt that they will show up as discounts later in the season. Have you heard good things about "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Little Women". Thanks to all your help, our last two trips to New York were great.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Little Women opened last night and got poor reviews. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels hasn't opened yet, but the word around is favorable.
Good Vibrations brought a new director to consult on the show and delayed its opening. Neither of those actions bode anything favorable! Have heard nothing about All Shook Up.
As for discount tickets for May, there won't be any show offers until March at the earliest.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM

First of all let me say that I really wish people wouldn't use personal names in titles. It really seems unfair to the many people with great comments and ideas. Trust me, (and I think I can safely speak for Howard as well) when I say he and I will both click open any post about "New York Theatre".

I've not seen any of what you mention. Having seen a number of posts on Little Women, I'd probably pass on it myself -- but then I find the book a real yawner anyway. You can do a search here with that title and see that a number of people have commented on it -- both the out of town tryouts and in New York, both favorably and with mild enthusiasm. Broadway Box has discounts on Little Women until mid-March, so I'd suspect that Little Women will remain on discounts.

I look forward to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- sounds like fun.

And the other four all sound like a fun evening's entertainment, but probably not great theatre, so it depends on what you're looking for. Sounds like you're looking only for musicals?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:57 AM

See, I knew we'd both respond. I got tied up while posting my response, so didn't know Howard was already posting.
I lost track of the timing of the opening of Little Women. Howard's update is not surprising to me, but certainly assures that you will be able to get discounts if the show makes it until May.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I truly apologize for using your name in a post. I certainly will not do it again. Yes, I agree that many people have much to offer on this forum. I just remembered your help in the past and I remembered some discussion about seating in the theater for "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", but when I tried to find it, I could not. Again thank you for your quick reponse. I was going to begin making reservations. Howard, thanks for the info on "Little Women". To anyone out there, where would find a review for that, as well at DRS , when it opens.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Sabrina, I really wasn't asking for an apology, and certainly wasn't offended. Just meant that for future reference. Have a great trip. Yes, I think we'll all welcome comments about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks H... I just found the NYPost review of "Little Women".. Will certainly wait on buying tickets for that. I am going ahead and get tickets for "DRS". We both love musicals and comedy. I like heavier fare.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Sabrina, you can also check the NY Times review of Little Women online:
http://www.nytimes.com