South Padre for Dummies...

Oct 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
JRP
Original Poster

South Padre for Dummies...

It's time to begin considering destinations for a guy's weekend reunion next Spring. This is an annual 4 day gtg of four 50ish-ers, two from Denver and two from Cleveland. We've talked about South Padre Island, yet I don't know much about it. We've evolved from competitive golf trips to enjoying the relaxing company of friends with a round of golf for distraction. The past two trips have been to Scottsdale and New Orleans. Generic comparisons possibly? We normally go during May. I'm sure we'll be well past the Spring Break crowd by then. I can't think of a better group to offer destination info than The Fodorites. Since I've nothing to go on and no knowledge of SP, anything you can offer should help. Not necessarily seeking activity advice, I know we're all different and that's not easy to do. Thanks.
Oct 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM

You might consider San Antonio - lots of courses here, easier to get t than South Padre. Won't have the beach but will have many other things. Hyatt Hill Country Resort is great, and ther ear elots of other options. Check out http://sanantoniocvb.com/visitors/things_golfhome.asp
Oct 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM

There has been press in the past few months about the TX/Mex border having a traveling advisory because of drug war violence. You might want to do research on this aspect before you book your trip.
With this knowledge, I say your chances of personal crime are greater than they would be in New Orleans but less than in Scottsdale.

Texas is a big state and there are many golf opportunites. The DFW area has an assortment of golf and the Tour 18 is a unique course since it replicates each hole from a famous golf course. In May, Dallas has the Byron Nelson and the next weekend is the Colonial in Fort Worth.
Oct 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
JRP
Original Poster

Thanks Seamus. I've heard great things about SA and I think you're right to consider it. I'll make the rec. Also, rebel, I appreciate the heads-up on the violent crime aspect. I'd hate to spend precious time getting my head stitched up, or worse.
Oct 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM

JRP, I can't speak for the golf at South Padre, but they have the prettiest beaches in Texas. I really wouldn't be concerned that much about crime unless you are the type to go drinking across the border at Matamoros. The crime at the border has been primarily in the Laredo area which is not the area that you are going to be in. That said, someone mentioned San Antonio, but another possibility is Austin. We have some beautiful golf courses here, esp. Barton Creek. You can easily fly into the Austin Bergstrom International Airport which is what I assume you will do with 4 days. Either San Antonio or Austin offer many things to do esp. in the evenings after you are done with golf. Good luck.
Oct 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
JRP
Original Poster

Thanks tulips. TX in general seems like a great destination, especially considering the equal travel time for both parties. So I appreciate the info on destinations within. Keep 'em coming Fodorites.
Oct 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM
P_M

We've heard a great deal about crime in Nuevo Laredo in the last year, but I've heard absolutely nothing about an increase in crime in S. Padre. It remains a very popular tourist destination and I would go there in a hearbeat. I am not a golfer, but I have several golfing friends who will agree that SA and Austin are great golf destinations.

I think you will have a wonderful time in any of these cities.
Oct 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM

May is a beautiful time to visit Texas.

We've got lots of golfing here in Austin, several fancy clubs and a number of city courses. You could rent a boat on the lake, take in the sights, then pull up to the dock at Hula Hut for a nice Tex-Mex lunch. At night, head down to 6th Street, where I'm sure you'll find any number of clubs that would suit your musical fancy, from rock to jazz to country to whatever.

May is also a good time to head for the coast. Up until about mid-month, it's still low season (as far as rates on hotels and condos), so you'd be sure to get a good deal, plus enjoy the water and towns along the gulf.

And yes, it will be way past spring break in May. No worries there.

Welcome to Texas!