South Kihei / North Wailea Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't seen much chat here about Kihei. I am looking for comments on the condo's around Kamaole Beach and Keawakapu Beach, such as the Kamaole Sands, Hale Kamaole, Mana Kai, and Hale Hui Kai.

Any reason not to vacation in this area? We're hoping for gentle waves and simple snorkelling without big crowds.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM

Have you considered Grand Champions Villas just up the road in Wailea? Far less congested than that area of Kihei and priced about the same. Check out ownerdirect.com for rentals.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 01:26 PM

Kihei is centrally located for easy access to exploring the rest of Maui. It is pretty built up and not as attractive as other areas. Kamaole Beach is nice in the morning and you can snorkel but can be too windy in the afternoon. I have stayed at the Kamaole Sands it was a nice property with a lot of families/children staying there.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several condos located on the seaward side of Kihei Rd. and this enhances the experience. You only need to walk across the street to get dinner or groceries.
The three Kamaole beaches are linked by footpaths and each is a different kind of beach.all with good snorkeling and swimming.
Having your condo on one of these beaches allows you to swim and snorkel in front of your lanai.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 02:26 PM
mlc

We visited Maui last week and stayed just north of Kaanapali. We loved it there, but really found Kihei way too busy. It took us forever to drive through it on the main road due to heavy traffic. I stayed in Kihei as a teenager and was bored there, but it has changed a lot since then.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:17 AM

If you want a place "without big crowds" Kihei is not the place !!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Keawakapu Beach is exactly what you're looking for. I've stayed at the Mana Kai and my best friend and her family stayed at Hale Hui Kai. The latter is more modern, but has a much smaller pool. Both are right on the beach and I would recommend both.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM

We enjoyed our stay at the Mana Kai. Be aware that not all of the rooms have great views and we were not able to reserve a particular room. We were not happy with the first room we were shown even though it did have an oceanfront view, but fortunately they had another availability in a better location on a higher floor. Going to sleep hearing the sound of the surf was wonderful and awakening to watch the sea from our pillows was fantastic.

We are beginner snorkelers and were able to enjoy the snorkeling right from our beach. We were there in February and there were no crowds. It was perfect for us. The snorkel stand right next door between the Mana Kai and Sarento's was very helpful.