Search

Kaanapali or wailea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaanapali or wailea

Hi hoping someone can help- I am so confused by previous questions. We are family of four from australia with two teenage children, visiting Hawaii for the first time this nov. we are spending five nights in Waikiki and will be heading to Maui for five nights. We are really looking to chill out in Maui, snorkelling and lots of swimming etc. we were originally planning to stay in Kaanapali but now I'm leaning towards (make a beach) as It seems the snorkelling and swimming is better there???? But is it more likely to rain and be cooler there??? Are we too far away from it all???
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM

I like Kaanapali but Wailea is nice too. Both have nice beaches, snorkeling etc. why don't you look at a condo on the Kaanapali beach, give the teenagers lots to do. You can walk to restaurants, music in the evening. Look at the Whaler on Kaanapali for a look at the beach, probably cheaper than a hotel.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Wailea is dryer than Kaanapali; it's also near Kihei, where there's shopping, restaurants, etc. (Makena is also a good option if you want fabulous beachfront.)
A condo would be ideal; lots cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Kaanapali all the way.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Kaanapali is the original 'destination resort' on Maui. Nice, mid-range chain hotels. Tall buildings, some merely 'on sand', but not on swimming/snorkeling beaches. More traffic. More people. Whalers Village mall. Lahaina's Front Street of restaurants, bars, 'ye shoppes'. LOL One new, HUGE condo plus some older ones north in Kahana, Napili. Some newer and more upscale lodgings in Kapalua.

Wailea is more recent. Upscale. Home to Maui's top hotels (Four Seasons, Fairmont, Grand Wailea). Less density. More low-rise, low-density condos. Shops At Wailea upscale mall with several restaurant choices (and 'ye shoppes'). Kihei to the immediate north is another option -- beach town vibe.

In November the ocean will have turned -- better conditions south (Wailea, Kihei) than far north (Napili, Kapalua).

If you plan any touring of Haleakala, Road to Hana, Iao Valley, that is more convenient from South Maui.

I recommend the Kaanapali area for young adults who want the Front Street nightlife. I think your family would like South Maui. (You will have 'buzz' and 'shopping' in Honolulu!)

Do you have your rental car reserved for airport pickup?
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM

I think both areas offer a lot, and the beaches are beautiful in both locations, that's why I like to do a split stay between west and south maui. That probably doesn't work for most people, so I think you should stick your original plans and stay in Kaanapali. There are great beaches there (like blackrock in front of sheraton), lots of shopping and Lahaina has a lot of stores and restaurants open late so your teenage children will love it. I have been to both locations in November before, and I really think it depends on the day and how the surf is, but it was sunny and hot at both locations so I dont' think you ahve anything to worry about. If it's a little windy and surf is high you can always drive to another beach. (will you have a car?)
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM

I don't know anything about Wailea/Kihei, but I think Kaanapali is a great location for families with teens.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:56 AM

I prefer Wailea which I find quieter and less congested, but with teens I think Kaanapali is a good choice. My two had a blast swimming near Black Rock as a couple of turtles were their constant companions in the surf.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM

More to do in Kaanapali. Town of Lahaina nearby is a bonus. Snorkeling and weather are great. Teenagers would be very bored with Wailea.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info.
Chisue, we've taken your advice and after much research and are heading to Makena area for our five day stay. More snorkelling options etc. we will be hiring a car, any recommendations on car hire???
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM

You will love Makena (wasn't that my suggestion?).
I would check out carrentals.com for rental; book a no-down-payment car and then check back very often for price changes (I saved 40% in July in a 1-day window).
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM

For your car -- whatever is cheapest! We've had good rates via Costco, our airline, and most recently National (with 'membership' for DH). We have an economy for $29/day all in for Jan. - Feb. 2013. Was a couple of dollars less for 2012.

If you want Makena, look at Makena Surf condos. If your kids want a lot of company -- Grand Wailea has condos. (Much nicer than the hotel's rooms!)

There are so MANY good snorkeling beaches in South Maui. (The problem with Black Rock is that visitors swarm there from all the 'on sand' buildings along Kaanapali; gets very crowded.) You will see turtles off the beach in front of the Makena Beach Resort.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM

This is off the topic ... but based on Sylvia3's post I checked the price of a car rental at carrentals.com. I found a $30 lower price with Fox -- than I got at Fox's own website. (It's for a p/u in Oakland, CA; returning to Los Angeles.)

I'm a Kauai guy, but I'm sure glad I read this Maui post! Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM

It is windy in Makena!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM

I believe you are thinking of Maalea (Harbor). Makena is no windier than other places along the coast.