Reload this Page >

Kaanapali or Wailea area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Deblynn

We've got it narrowed down to a few hotels, but can't decide which area to stay in, Kaanapali or Wailea. The Westin looks nice, but can you hear the ocean from the rooms? And the Maui Prince looks nice too, but in a totally different area. We don't want the beach so crowded, we can't enjoy! The Sheraton looks great, but very pricey! Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deblynn, the Kaanapali beach is much more crowded. It is also a problem finding parking in the Kaanapali area. Very built-up, busy area. We visited Kaanapali as a day-trip.

We stayed at the Maui Prince which we really enjoyed. South of Wailea and Wailea areas are much quieter, beaches not as crowded. I recommend renting a car if you stay in Wailea or south of Wailea. A convertible is fun in Maui.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Deblynn, one more thing...if you want to see them, we have a couple photos taken in Kaanapali, and from the Maui Prince. If you decide to write to me please mention "Maui beaches" in the subject line so I won't delete you as junk mail! [email protected]
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:46 AM

The Wailea area of Maui is my favorite. It's nice and not overly crowded.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Easy answer--Wailea, of course.
Much nicer, newer, not a row of highrises and ok beach. Wailea has 5 crescent beaches with fab views and snorkeling. There really is no comparison
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM

No contest, Wailea
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I have stayed in both and like them both for different reasons. Wailea is beautiful and upscale but more isolated feeling as well. The Westin would allow you to walk to Whaler's Village and is closer to Lahaina and to the northern part of West Maui - Kapalua and that beautiful drive up around the island. I sort of enjoyed staying in Kaanapali the first couple of times I went to Maui and was so anxious to "see it all". The last time I went I was more in a relaxation mode and found Wailea fit the bill. Sometimes you can get a good deal at the Sheraton using the Starwood Preferred website (join for free). You might also price the Renaissance if you choose the Wailea area.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Let me also say that the Westin sits back enough - as most of the resorts do - that you probably won't hear the ocean. Also I have never been to any beach in Maui that felt really crowded in the Florida sense of the word - people scattered here and there but never so closely that you felt like you were maneuvering to put your stuff down. You will love wherever you stay...