Maui Confusion

May 6th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Heather

Maui Confusion

My family and I are planning a trip to Maui for next Dec. 26 - Jan. 2. It is my dad (54), sister (25), brother (21), husband and myself (late twenties). No one has been to Hawaii before and we have not been on a family vacation since 1988! We want to focus on fun and relaxation and not romance. We originally wanted a 2-bedroom condo that my husband and I could split with my dad, such as, Kaanapali Ali or Kapalua Bay Villas, but we are having a difficult time finding availability. I was all set to book at the Embassy (2, one-bedroom suites) in Kaanapali but then I read postings about the weather and that the South Shore would be a better alternative at this time of the year. Plus, I am worried about the crowds in Kaanapali during the high season. I found comparable rates at the Outrigger in Wailea but I have mixed views because we are a young group of people and I am also reading that there is more to do in Kaanapali.

Is the weather that much different between Kaanapali and Wailea?

Are hotels/condos truly booked for the season already or are they just not releasing rates yet - do I have time to hold out (we already have our plane tickets)?

If we can't get a condo, I wouldn't mind holding out for the Sheraton, Westin or Hyatt since we are in their points program.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

May 6th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Bart

Heather, There is not that much difference between Kaanapali and Wailea temp wise. I think you would enjoy Kaanapali and Lahaina more based on the description of family. We just booked 13th trip to Hawaii and everytime we've stayed in Kaanapali for at least one week. You might check The Whaler, it's right in the middle of Kaanapali at Whalers Village. The Marriott has converted half the hotel to timeshare and they do rent those out if they aren't occupied. Worth a try.
I wouldn't wait too long to book something because that is the highest season. Another option you might consider is a home. There are lots of homes for rent on the hillside above Kaanapali. If that interests you, search for a real estate pro.
Hope this helps, email me if you have any other questions.
Aloha

May 7th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Dawn Ct

On our first trip to Maui we opted for Kaanapali and stayed at the Marriott whichw as quite nice. I wouldn't describe the area as crowded but it was more congested than Wailea. My 20ish son loved it. Easy walking distance to the nightlife etc and about a 20 minute drive into Lahaina. This past summer I didn't want to worry about night life so we opted for Wailea. Beautiful white sand beaches, more open spaces and we stayed at the Outrigger which was a great hotel. However, there is virtually no night life for the 20 somethings. I prefer the beaches of Wailea but it all depends on what you are looking for.

May 7th, 2002, 07:06 AM
joe

In January Wailea and Kihei will be drier and sunnier than Kaanapali.

May 7th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ken

If in doubt go to Kaanapli. Very few people dislike Kaanapali, although they might prefer another part of Maui. Kaanapali has a little of everything, and has more to do for all ages. Other parts of Maui are easily accessible from there. When people say Kaanapali is crowded, it is nothing like Waikiki. The beach is never "crowded" even at peak times. Personally, I think Kaanapali is the best part of Maui but I like to be where the "action" is. If you want total solitude it is not for you !

Search this Thread