Reload this Page >

So what is Poipu beach like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sarah

I am just wondering if it is crowded, meandering with hiking trails. I have never been but it seems like everyone on the south shore goes there so I am wondering what it is like. Will be at the Hyatt in August for one night. Is it worth it to leave that grand pool? Will be in Hanalei for the following two weeks.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
laura

i was really disappointed with poipu beach. it's not overly crowded, but it has a lot of seaweed and coral. there is one area that is pretty rough which is crowded with boogie boarders. that also has a lot of coral, etc.. my husband actually cut his knee on the reef there and has a permanent scar. if you want to get a way from the hotel it's the best choice nearby. but, i also stayed at the hyatt, and the pool is very large and very nice. there is a beach in front of the resort, but it was not open for swimming when i was there (the current is very strong). hope you have a great time whatver you decide!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:59 PM
Brenda

Actually the best beach on the south shore is in front of the Sheraton. Managable waves, very sandy bottom, enjoyable swimming, nice sandy beach. There is a small public parking area to the left of the Sheraton. Check it out.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Cherish

At the public beach next to the Sheridan you may get to enjoy watching locals surfing and cliff diving. We also enjoyed the monk seals resting on the beach.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
sn

You can easily walk from the Hyatt to Poipu and we jog there every morning we are at the Hyatt. Shipwreck beach in front of the resort is much nicer for walking than Poipu but the rocks are treacherous. If you are only there for one day, I'd plan on staying lagoon/poolside.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
can'twait

Laura, dis you also stay in Princevill? If you did, which did you prefer more-Princeville or Hyatt?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Cherish

Oops I mean Hyatt

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Sarah

Cherish they are both Grand Hotels. Location wins most people out on the Princeville but the Hyatt is a wonderful property also just 30 minutes from a grand landscape as far as I can see. Stay at one and lunch at the other. For a limitted time on Kauai and in Summer my money is not the Princeville. I also don't mind overcast days and this summer is providing many of them.

Hyatt great for kids and on the sunny side a better choice for October-May31