Search

Where to stay in Kauia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Kauia

Hello,

Our family of five will be travelling to Kauai and I am unsure about where to stay. I really like the looks of the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort, but woud need to book two rooms. Not an issue cost wise, but am wondering if we would be better trying to find a really nice condo. Some of the things that I like about a resort are: the pools, golf, restauants all right on site. What is out there in condos that would be right on the beach with and excellent pool and golf??

Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM

we stayed at hyatt few years ago and it was really lovely. last year we stayed at westin ocean villas and it was nice to have the kitchen and such but it has no beach....
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Hyatt beach is not swimmable. Too rough.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM

The Hyatt is a beautiful resort. It is true that the beach in front is pretty but too rocky for swimming. If you drive a mile from their you'll have Poipu beach which is fabulous for swimming and snorkeling. If you look at condos, be sure to ask if they have airconditioning. 90% of Kauai condos don't have AC. My choice would be the Hyatt----the pools and grounds are fantastic. Don't miss the helicopter tour of Kaui . It's expensive but worth every penny. It will be one of the most memorable events of your life.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I'm big on condos for family beach vacations, so this isn't a diss on the Hyatt per se, but on the concept of staying in two rooms in a hotel, no matter how nice. Personally, I'd be much happier at Kiahuna Plantations than at the Hyatt (unless there were just two of us). The grounds are lovely, the condos are very nice, and the beach is great. It's directly across the street from Poipu Village Shopping Center, with restaurants ranging from Roy's to the hot dog place whose name I can't remember off-hand.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Puka Dog!

http://www.pukadog.com/
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming!!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM

We stayed at the Kauai Beach Villas. It was right on a swimable (?) beach. The units are a nice size and have air conditioning in the bedrooms. Not all condos have air conditioning on Kauai.
Parking is free. Pool yes. Golf course no.
We watched the sunrise each morning from our lania.
When are you going?
Karin
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM

I agree with the recommendation for Kiahuna Plantation condos. I've stayed there and it is a wonderful property close to great beaches. The only downside is no air conditioning. For people who don't mind heat and humidity that's no problem. But if you are the types sensitive to heat and humidity that can be a problem------especially in the summer months.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Though I can't find the post now, someone here has recommended the Waipouli Beach Resort -- http://www.waipoulibeachresort.com/. 2 BR condos that look quite nice, and they are now offering a 3rd night free. I'm considering staying there for a few nights on an upcoming trip. On a beach (doubt it's swimmable), restaurant on site and others close by, spa, a resort-type pool, don't know about the nearby golf options.

Can't give any firsthand comments, but maybe worth looking into as a place offering condo layouts with a resort feel.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM

where is kauai beach villas?
thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Just a few minutes from Lihue Airport, Kauai Beach Villas is centrally located near Wailua and Kapaa on Kauai's East Shore and a convenient distance to a wide variety of Hawaii activities. Hanalei Bay, Haena, Princeville, and Kilauea a leisurely drive to the north shore. Poipu Beach, Spouting Horn, Hanapepe, Waimea and Kekaha are all located on Kauai's South Shore.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM

I'm sending this reply from the deck of the 3BR house in Poipu that we rented via VRBO (#75369). It's great, and sure beats having two rooms at a hotel. Very nice place, and an unbeatable location -- one house back from Hoone Rd, halfway between Brennecke's Beach and the Poipu Beach Park. We paid $357/night. Plus you save on food big-time by making your own, even if you only eat lunch and breakfast in. Only downside of this particular house is a bit of weekend night noise from the locals partying at the beach park's pavilions.

There are lots of houses and condos around here for rent. Walking around, I see that nearly all of them are being managed by one of three companies: Garden Island Rentals, Parrish Collection, and Makai Properties. Google them and check it out. Poipu Kai is also a very large condo resort between Brennecke's and the Hyatt; we've stayed there before. It's nice (but not as nice as this house).

Most condo buildings will have a pool, although we've never really used the pools much in Kauai. I don't think golf at the resort is a big deal -- nothing is far away here. Regarding restaurants, it's not far to drive to them, and depending on where a house or condo is you can easily walk. For instance, Kiahuna Plantation is easy walking distance to Plantation Gardens, Keoki's, Puka Dog, Roy's, and the stuff at the Sheraton. The eastern part of Poipu Kai is easy walking to the Hyatt.

Shipwreck beach in front of the Hyatt is pretty, but definitely rougher than Poipu Beach Park. Still swimmable on calm days (like today) but too rough on a lot of days. Hard to say what it will be like when you come but south swell gets bigger in the summer. When are you coming? Poipu Beach Park is the best for small kids. Brennecke's is great for boogie-boarding.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Waiohai on Poipu Beach several times and really enjoyed it. They are beachfront, have several pools and there is a restaurant too. No golf course. They have two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, one with a washer dryer, and flat screen tv's in both bedrooms and the living room.
Have a great trip!