Search

Sneakers advice - not travel!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sneakers advice - not travel!!

Hi
This query is nothing to do with travel but hopefully someone will be able to answer this!! I will be visiting New York next week from the UK to shop. I am looking for a pair of fashionable sneakers for my 2 year old nephew. However he has wide feet - G width fitting. Can anyone advise me which brands make these and where I could buy them please?
Thanks a lot
Cathy
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CathyY, I can't give a specific place to visit but I do have a suggestion. Have your little nephew stand up straight while you draw an outline of both his feet on sturdy paper (brown bag or manilla folder?)

This template will help you when you're searching for shoes as you'll discover that different brands are sized very differently.

Good luck!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:47 PM

I think is is more of a problem than you realize. The US shoe sizes for children are 1 larger than in the UK, but I don't know how to convert widths. It is very hard to find anything but a standard width in children's shoes here - New Balance has some "C" widths, but most lines do not. And there is no guarantee that your nephew will like the fit, if he can't try them on. Fitting small children with shoes takes quite a bit of practice.

May I suggest instead a typical US brand of kids apparel - Oshkosh B'Gosh overalls? They are great for 2 year old boys, and are adjustable so they can be worn for more than a year. Ultra stylish, no, cute, yes!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:53 PM

My son had wide feet at that age and I bought shoes at Nordstroms and Stride Rite. I don't know if there is a Nordstoms in NYC but I checked the Stride Rite website and they show several stores in New York City. Check http://www.striderite.com/jump.jsp?i...Type=HOME_PAGE Happy Shopping!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM

I second Mary2Go's suggestions. Our daughter had a high instep as a small child and we only bought shoes at Stride Rite or Nordstrom. (We tried to buy her "off the shelf" shoes one time at a discount store, but they hurt her feet.) Both Nordstrom and Stride Rite will have staff who know how to fit the shoes for small children. Nordstrom started out as a shoe store and has a good shoe department. Stride Rite specializes in children's shoes and has their own brand with a range of sizes.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM

FYI -

Typically shoes in UK/europe are significantly wider than they are in the US - I don;t know why. But, for instanace - in the US a women's average is B - C is wide and AA is narrow. I have never heard of a G - even for men.

Agree you will be better off with something other than sneakers for your nephew.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure if you'll find them, but you might want to do a search on ebay. Its amazing what you can find there, and many retailers also have sites there now. Good luck.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 04:56 PM

StrideRite staff are specially trained for fitting and might refuse to sell you shoes without the child present if you have only a general idea what size he is. US shoe sizes don't have a "G" width; after "E", they just keep adding "E"s. I agree that an OshKosh outfit might be a better bet.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 05:45 PM
jor

NY would be an excellent place to look for sneakers for your nephew's feet. In other parts of the US people would direct you to the candy department!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 07:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Striderite.com has a foot chart you can download and print to get the correct size.