Ski w/preschoolers. Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From experience, which resort is the best for skiing with preschoolers? The ages are 2 1/2 (almost 3) and 4 year old. We want to stay in a village atmosphere, try kid ski school and not be bowled over by hot shot skiers.
Deer Valley
Park City Mtn. resort
Snowbird
Canyons
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Clearly you're having difficulty finding your (numerous) other posts on the same topic. You do have replies on some of them. Click your name up at the top by the black and white fodor's logo to see all your old posts.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I lump Deer Valley/Park City/Canyons as one place. Easy bus transportation between each of these places. Deer Valley does not allow snow boarders and limits the number of skiers per day. They also have great lodging in the area. Plenty to do in the Park City area. Snowbird has no village.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Hi Cheap,

I live in Park City. My opinion is that either Deer Valley or Park City Mtn Resort will be your best options. Derr Valley has the best "first day on skis" area. The very best ski schools for toddlers are Snowbird and Deer Valley, but Snowbird doesn't really have a "village". Deer Valley likes to think it has a village at Silver Lake, where Stein Erikson's Lodge is, but it's dead at night. Lots of nice dining, but no nightlife. Park City Mtn Resort has a large base area with lots of shops and restaurants and a small ice rink, but Historic Main Street is more fun and it's nearby. It's a bit of a trek to go from Deer Valley to Main Street if you are staying at Silver Lake - long, windy road. Does this help?

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kind travellers as your opinions definitely help to narrow the process.

Sorry JLM if I broke the rules by my numerous posts on the subject of skiing w/preschoolers. I was aware of the replies to my posts. I am only trying to narrow down our choices--since there are a gazillion places to try but in my posts I have asked about different places like Canada, Utah and Colorado. I didn't think that was redundant. I was assuming that by clicking on the individual states/countries I wouldn't be posting over the entire board. If there is a different way to post, I'd love to hear your opinion.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM

cheapboxofwine - no rules, per se. I was trying to be helpful. And no, clicking on different states doesn't keep the posts to those state areas. Click on this link and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

This is the US board. All posts are lumped there, with no indication of what states were chosen as a search topic.

You seem angry with my response, so maybe you don't actually want my suggestions, but if you do, I would suggest posting once on the US board and once on the Canada board. You could choose all of the states that you're interested in as search topics for that one post, and ask about all places at one time.

Why? Because then someone who sees only one of your posts but who knows something about more than one area could be helpful in comparing them for you. And, it's easier to track the help you're getting that way.

See - helpful.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:07 AM

We began taking our family of 4 to Park City when our daughter was 3 (she is now 9) for skiing. I think their ski school is great as well as very safe. The preschoolers have their own area both on the slopes and inside for breaks. The prices are reasonable and the snow is great. There is definitely a village both at the resort and in the town (which is less than 5 minutes away). I don't find the ski resort "wild" at all with the snowboarders (which my 14 year old is). The resort is large and diverse and I have never felt 'bowled over by hot shot skiers."

Deer Valley is nice but as a previous poster said, you will have to drive to the village of park city.

The drive from SLC airport to Park City is very easy. We have been doing this trip with 20 other neighborhood families every year and love it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM

Deer Valley- great ski school, excellent service and no snowboarders to run over your kids. If not Deer Valley, then Beaver Creek, Colorado even though it allows snowboarding.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM

As someone who learned to ski after 30, I can wholeheartedly recommend the ski school at Deer Valley. The kids seem to be having an awesome time. The instructors seem very engaged with them. They have the "magic carpet," kiddie lift, skiing games and then there are lessons where they spend the day or part of the day on the mountain with the instructors (maybe not for your kids this year, but FYI). No snowboarders (hence less "get bowled over by hot shot skiiers risk) is a plus. Whether you stay in Park City or Deer Valley doesn't matter -- I vote for ski school at Deer Valley.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:23 AM

steamboat springs colo. great ski school for little ones and an outstanding mtn.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Now we just have to decide which location to pursue!