NYC-Top restaurant for birthday?

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC-Top restaurant for birthday?

In January, my In-Laws will be travelling from Europe to NYC for a 60th birthday trip. We are looking for a special restaurant to celebrate for a small party of up to 6 persons. Looking for either a top restaurant or up and coming one. A great wine list is a must. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:06 AM
GoTravel

Per Se
Le Bernardin
Babbo
Lespinasse
March

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM

You will probably not be able to make reservations at Per Se for later this month. I think Babbo might be too casual for what you have in mind and it will also be difficult to score reservations there at a good time. One place we patronize fairly often for family dinners is Danube. It is one of the most beautiful restaurants in the city and scores very highly on critics' lists of "best in the city." It is elegant but not at all stuffy with great food and great wine list. Location is downtown in Tribeca. Le Bernadin is wonderful as well; also elegant but not at all pompous. Have not been to March but have heard good things about the chef there and the beauty of the surroundings. And Daniel is another obvious choice if you want creative French food. We can give more help if you tell us what kind of food and atmosphere you want.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM

GoT's list is great although I'm not a Babbo fan. Budget will be a major factor. None of these places are cheap. Would also help to know what kind of food (ie Italian, French etc.) you'd prefer and what kind of ambiance. Formal/casual, big/small etc.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will look into the suggestions and I think Danube and Le Bernardin sound nice as you mentioned they are excellent, yet not stuffy. Sounds just up our alley.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:51 AM

If cost is not an issue, I would consider Gilt. (Disclaimer: I have not yet been, although the early reviews are fabulous and it is on the top of my list.) The chef, Paul Liebrandt, is one of the most creative chefs in NY (and perhaps the US) today. In his previous stints at Atlas and Papillon, he turned out some truly amazing creations. (Though admittedly some dishes were more cutting-edge and "interesting" than truly delicious.) While I understand that he has toned it down somewhat for the midtown Gilt, if you are truly looking for up and coming, I think this may be the way to go.

Additionally, I would love to hear from any Fodorites who have already been there, as, as mentioned, I have not personalyl eaten there yet.

Whatever you choose, have a fantastic meal!