Search

NYC Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Lisa

NYC Restaurants

I will be celebrating my anniversary in NYC over Columbus Day weekend. We will be staying at the Hilton Times Square for 2 nights. I have already purchased tickets to the 8:00 P.M. Saturday evening performance of The Producers, and the Sunday Matinee performance of Mamma Mia. What I need now is fabulous restaurant recommendations. I am looking for romantic ambiance, great service, and great food. Please help by sharing your suggestions. By the way, money is not an object for at least one dinner. I am open to all cuisines. Thanks in advance.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:51 PM
A.M.

I suggest Chez Josephine.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Daniel

I suggest Picholine, it is spectacular!! If you like cheese they have the best cheese tray in the city and a fascinating maitre fromageur.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:11 PM
patty

Here are some restaurants my husband and I have celebrated our anniversary at, starting with my favorites: March (the best!), Lutece, Verbena, The Terrace (uptown at 119th St. - wonderful views but their food was not as good as the next 3 restaurants), Picholine (great food but not a romantic setting), Le Bernardin (ditto), Montrachet (ditto ditto) and, my least favorite, Cafe des Artistes - great mural, bad service & food, at least on the night we were there.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Lisa

Patty, thanks for all of the suggestions. What made March the BEST? This is a restaurant I haven't heard much about. I was considering La Bernardin and Cafe des Artistes, so thanks for the heads up about the atmosphere at the first, and the food and service at the second. I have heard about Lutece for years but have never dined there. Is it still as good as in the past? Sometimes restaurants stay alive based on past reputations but are not necessarily as good as they used to be.

I am also wondering about Le Cirque. Has anyone eaten there very recently?

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Statia

Lisa:

I've heard great things about Chez Josephine and plan to try that on my next trip. However, I also wanted to throw in two that we really enjoyed this past April.

We ate at One if by Land, Two if By Sea for my birthday. It's in Greenwich Village and we were very pleased. It was expensive, but we felt very worth it. The food was great, the ambiance very romantic (fireplace, piano, etc.) and the service was impeccable. We ended the night at the top of the Empire State Building which was a special treat.

We also had a late dinner one night at Carmine's Southern Itlalian on 44th off Broadway, and really enjoyed that as well. However, they serve huge portions family style, so beware that you must share an entree and will more than likely leave a lot behind if there are only two of you.

Enjoy NYC.....it's a fabulous town.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Lisa

Stacia, I just recently looked at The website for One if by Land, Two if by Sea, and thought the restaurant looked very romantic. I am glad to hear that the food and service are also very good. I think that we will eat there Sunday evening. If the show ends at approximately 5:15, what time should we make our dinner reservations?

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Statia

Lisa:

I would suggest making reservations for 6 p.m. to be on the safe side. It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to get a cab at that time on a Sunday, but it's better to be safe than late. If you arrive early, you could always have a drink at the bar first or perhaps they'd seat you early. It wasn't crowded for early dinner when we went.

I'm not sure what time One if by Land opens or if they are even open on a Sunday, so be sure to check into that. We called a car company for a Monday night reservation at 7 p.m. We got there in about 15 minutes at that time.

Enjoy it and congratulations on your anniversary!

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:08 PM
ttt

ttt

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:29 PM
patty

Hi Lisa - I loved March because it was quiet (hard to find these days) with enough space between tables (another hard to find quality in NYC restaurants it seems) in an intimate room. And yet not stuffy or formal - I felt very comfortable there.

And all that wouldn't matter if it weren't for the wonderful food - the tastes were unusual, never had before, and yet so so good. There's an Asian influence in several of the choices - I think the chef is part Japanese. The only other dinner experience which made me feel like I was eating on another planet was one I had many years ago at the original Bouley.

And I love the small, tasting menu portions - I'm not a Carmine's style big platter person unless I'm eating with a large group. I don't drink so I can't tell you about the wine, but I've heard they have a fabulous selection.

I think that's it for my reason to select March. Our Lutece dinner was, unfortunately, many many years ago so I don't know if they're still wonderful. And have fun at One If By Land - I know friends who love it.

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:21 PM
A.M.

Hey Lisa,
How about thanking Daniel and I? Geez.
A.M.

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Lisa

A.M. -Sorry about the lack of thanks. I usually thank EVERYBODY. And, thanks to Daniel, too. Hope I'm forgiven.

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:41 PM
A.M.

Lisa,
Thank you and your welcome.
Ah, now I feel better.
Do go to Chez Josephine.
A.M.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:12 AM
as

Picholine was wonderful. Great service and great food.
Cafe des Artistes was terrible. The food the service and the atmosphere!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:20 PM
patty

Topping for Amber