Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC - your suggestions for pre/post-theater great restaurants, please!

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All -

Air-check! Hotel-check! Looking for recommends for great places to eat pre/post-shows (lurking on another thread for ideas), lunches, and random evenings. This will be our second visit to NYC. We will be staying five nights at the Elysee, and we are pretty excited!

In 2008, we pretty much followed NeoPatrick's and escargot's recommends as far as dining in Midtown and were happy with all of the suggestions. So, I am hoping to hear about your new favorites to include on our list. Also wondering if Roberto Passon is still good, since we enjoyed a few meals there. And, would love a stroll and supper in the West Village one evening, so would appreciate ideas for places to dine there.

Many thanks,
Anna
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM

Sadly Roberto Passon is under new ownership, it's called Giuliano's and from what I have heard so far, the service is horrendous.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Margo. Bummer - we really like RP.

I would appreciate any further comments.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM

ViceVersa is still good, as is their sister restaurant (and slightly cheaper alternative) etcetera etcetera.

Le Relais de Venise l'Entrecote is still wonderful and still an extraordinary deal at $24 for a steak dinner with salad and fries (plus cheap and pretty good red wine). This is actually one of the best deals in Manhattan, and if you like to eat fast, you can be out of there in 45 minutes from entry. I was shocked to get a 20% off coupon yesterday; I'll be using it shortly.

Rice 'n' Beans, a tiny Brazilian restaurant across the street from the former Roberto Passon is still good, though pre-theater there is easier than post because it has only about a dozen tables.

I've been to HB Burger a few times, and it's also a good, cheap meal near Times Square. The beer is good (this is a branch of Heartland Brewery but only serves burgers).

Film Center Cafe is a good cheap restaurant in the theater district.

I still love Le Marais, which really shines in the summer. The prix-fixe meal there is a really good value, and the food is always wonderful.

Those are a few of the places I frequent pre-theater. I don't like to eat at 11 or 11:30, so post-theater isn't my thing.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:30 AM

We loved ViceVersa when we ate there in December. The food was wonderful and the location can't be beat if you are trying to make it to a show after dinner. Wicked is just across the street.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM

Some very fine eating can be found in the Flatiron/Gramercy Park District - one: Novita - another: I Trulli
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM

I've always loved Cafe Un Deux Trois - I believe it's on 45th St between 6th & &th aves. Do others agree with this being a great restaurant?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Fevereshly writing down all of the suggestions!
Thank you!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM

Hello,

We went to Vice Versa http://www.viceversarestaurant.com/index2.htm and Triomphe http://www.triomphe-newyork.com/ for pre-theatre last December and truly enjoyed our excellent meals.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM

My friend recommended Thalia, which I thought was very good. I'm looking forward to a return visit at the end of the month.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM

Theater district
Marseilles for French. Chez Josephine also French with live music. West Bank Cafe & Bar Americain for American. Joe Allen's on restaurant row is a theater district "hang out" for American comfort food. Toloache and Hell's Kitchen for Mexican. Basilica is a more casual Italian.

Do you know about menupages.com?
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM

West Village-Little Owl, Mary's Fish Camp, Pearl Oyster Bar, AOC Bleecker
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!

McL - I heard about the menupages.com and will definitely look on, although I think I have enough options here for our four days worth of meals.

Also, we dined at Vice Versa and had tea and dessert at Chez Josephine last time we were in New York, so something familiar to revisit. I understand that the Elysee has a popular restaurant. Does anyone have comments about it?

So, I bought tickets for 8:00p.m. shows on both Friday and Saturday nights. What time should I make dinner reservations for? If a restaurant is in Midtown, would a 5:30 - 6:00 p.m. reservation work? [We only saw matinees last time and were not faced with the dinner timing issue.]
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM

6:00 p.m. reservations if you dine in the theatre district
should afford you enough time. You might want to make your reservations on www.opentable.com thereby gaining points for future dining.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM

We've had no trouble with our 6 pm pre-theatre dinners at Vice Versa and Triomphe. We just made sure to tell the server as soon as we were seated what time we needed to leave. Before making our opentable reservations though, I called each restaurant and asked for their advice re. what time we should make our dinner reservations to make it to our shows.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM

The Monkey Bar at the Elysee is an "in" place owned by the editor of Vanity Fair. It may be difficult to get reservations unless you're staying at the hotel. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/monkey-bar/

Agree that 6 pm in midtown west (40's-50's) should be fine for an 8 pm curtain. In midtown east, you'd want to start a bit earlier. You can check distances on maps.google.com and they estimate walking time.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM

I don't know about great, but the last time my wife and I went to a show, January I think, we ate at La Masseria - it's on 47th or 48th around 8th - and it was both moderately priced and very good. We each had pasta, shared a salad, and each had a glass or two of wine. Both pasta dishes were excellent, the salad had a very tasty homemade dressing, and the bread was very good.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM

We had reservations pre theatre, showed up and the place was closed!! I highly recommend reservations on www.opentable.com

Anyway, my daughter and I stumbled in to Toloache where they managed to get us in and out on time.
http://toloachenyc.com/media/toloache.html

It was fantastic. Wonderful flavors, unique dishes. I can't wait to return.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM

A few personal favorites:

-strongly agree with suggestion for I. Trulli. Its a simply wonderful restaurant, always reliable. www.itrulli.com

-In the same neighborhood as I Trulli is Resto, which is always an enjoyable dining experience. www.restonyc.com

-If you wish to stay more centrally located and close to the Theater District, consider landmarc at the Time Warner Center. http://www.landmarc-restaurant.com

-Also nice, and conveniently located on the great white way is Marco Canora's Insieme. I personally prefer his restaurant Hearth, but that's nowhere near where you will be. However, Insieme will afford a lovely dining experience as well... http://www.restaurantinsieme.com
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again.
As far as after theater, say we had a super late lunch, would all/some of the suggested restaurants still be serving supper?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -