Park City/ Deer Valley

Feb 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Park City/ Deer Valley

Going to Park City next week for a ski trip and also planning to go to Deer Valley as well. I've done a search here and amazingly, there's really no info about the area. So any suggestions for on-mountain dining? apres ski places for drinks? Restaurants? is there anything we cannot miss?
Thanks
Feb 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Sorry I can't be more specific, but we thought Deer Valley far superior to Park City as far as skiing is concerned..just from the ski perspecfive...prettier too, altho maybe not as trendy. The do (or did) moniter the number of skiers on the slopes, and have certain runs just for "boardes".
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Do a search for Dayle on this board - she is the resident expert for Park City and has answered many questions for us visitors.

We have been to the area several times, but only skied Deer Valley because we had such a great experience the first day--can park real close if early or convenient bus drop off, helpful staff, no snowboarders, free overnight ski check.

I can't say we prefer one on-mountain restaurant to another. Seems like one had more selections, so you may want to check that.

We are budget travelers and infrequent skiers so we are often too exhausted to do much for dinner. We have visited the Whole Foods for some great soup that we took back to the condo. The restaurant we liked best closed, so can't send you there.

Sorry to sound vague, but we aren't skiing this year due to husband's surgery so I'm not up-to-date.
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I can help if you have any questions. Deer Valley is a great experience. Also check out the Canyons they have put a bunch of well spent money on the base and opened up some great terrain on the southern end of the resort. Takes a bit to get used to but has the best tree skiing in Utah.

inexpensive eats(sort of): El Chubasco, Maxwells, Shabu Shabu, Full House (chinese).

Mid Range: High West Distillary( must check out ) if you have a 12 stepper watch out burbon in every thing including the catsup. Windy Ridge, Sushi Maru.

Upper range Mariposa, Seafood buffet, Easy Street, Washo.

Check out the winter sports park check ahead if you want a bobsled ride(be prepared to be sore the next day.

Google What to do in Park City if you don't ski I wrote a blog about other things to do.

Enjoy you can call if you have other questions.
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM

We went to Deer Valley for a short ski trip just after the new year. I have a trip report posted somewhere with more details.

My husband skiied at Deer Valley each day and I can ask him about specific runs if you are looking for ski advice. He loved the Deer Valley skiing and found the service exceptional (including helping with his boots and offering hot chocolate). We stayed at the recently opened Montage and ate in their main dining room and at Daly's Pub. The food was quite good and we enjoyed a game of pool. The hotel is gorgeous and definitely met (or surpassed) our expectations.

We went into Park City two nights for dinner and enjoyed wonderful meals at Chimayo and Chez Betty. I would recommend both.
Feb 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM

william,

You haven't looked very hard! Just use the search function. Sort by state first, then type in "Park City" or "Deer Valley". You'll get lots of posts and info.

Good news! The Blind Dog Saloon has re-opened at "The Yard" on Kearns. Larger than before. Haven't been in yet to try the new location.

Personally, I prefer Park City over Deer Valley. I just like skiing in the mountains rather than in between high rise condos and in people's driveways. Of course, best of all are Snowbird and Alta.

Have fun!
Feb 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

So perhaps I should have clarified my questions. I did do a search and obviously the previous searches and posts didn't really answer what I was look for.

I am going to Park City with two other couples, we are staying at the Marriott Park City. I really have no say in the restaurants we will go to as one couple is very picky and really it's just easier to let them decide. One of our group is planning to do the bobsled ride so I'm letting her plan it. But I had no idea that you could be sore from it.

Thanks for the info about The Blind Dog Saloon. That's the info I am looking for. My ski boots tend to hurt the first couple of runs and I like to give my feet a break at the bar between runs. Plus being the only single girl amongst two couples maybe I'll find a cute guy at the bar!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Feb 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Just posed the question "deer Valley or Park City" to DH, who is an avid skier and has done them both, from a skier's perspective. He said "if you wanna be challenged, do Park City, but if you wanna be pampered, Deer Valley"...so how's that for input?
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:53 PM

williams,

Sorry to mot be more clear. The Blind Dog Saloon is in town, not on any of the ski runs.

The on mountain food is much better at Deer Valley. Park City Mountain Resort is decent for quick lunches. The Legacy Lodge at the base of PCMR is quite good with lots of variety.

There is a very good boot store also at the base - Surefoot. You might go in and see what they can do for you.

If you are talking about the bobsled run at the Utah Olympic Park - it's the real thing! You ride with the athlete driver and breakman in a 4man. Two tourists per sled. $200 per person, signing major waiver forms......you don't go quite as fast as they do in competition, but you do go around 65 mph and pull alot of Gs! Grown men have been known to pee their pants - and I am NOT making that up. I've always wanted to do it, but have a bad neck from a car wreck, so I don't dare.

There are less intense sled type rides at Park City Mtn. Resort. They are a blast!

There are just too many excellent restaurants here to even begin to list. Many are mentioned in the older posts.

My personal favorites:

Blind Dog Saloon
Grappa
Glitritend (at Stein's)
350 Main
The Eating Establishment
Main St. Pizza and Noodle
Hapa Grill (at Kimball Jct.)
Bistro 412

Search this Thread