Single lady trip to Seattle; need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a single female taking a pleasure vacation to Seattle in November.
I would like suggestions for a nice hotel that is conveniently located to most attractions (walking distance) and is in a safe area. I'd like to keep the rate less than $125 per night. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM

I have only been there once and stayed downtown at the Hilton. There was a Sheraton and an Athelitic Club that has rooms near by as well all three are right in the middle of tourist stuff. I suspect if you do your home work you can find something in your price line.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try the Mayflower Park hotel. It's a nice old place right in the middle of shopping and department stores. Hotel Andra has been getting good comments but I'm pretty sure is more expensive than your budget.

Anything in the downtown core should be walking distance to attractions and safe IMO.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM

Right. When looking for a hotel, keep in mind that 5th and Pine is the center of the retail core.

A room for $125 might be available in November because it is the month we get the most rain!

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM

Try seattlesupersaver.com (run by the convention and visitors bureau). They usually have good rates, and as happy trails says, November is a less expensive time to visit.

Another pretty safe area is near Seattle Center - a quick monorail ride to downtown. In that area, try the Inn at Queen Anne, Marqueen, or Mediterranean Inn. Have fun!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:30 AM

I think you'll have trouble finding a rate that inexpensive in downtown (unless you bid Priceline or the like).

Two places I would be comfortable as a single female visiting Seattle (I live here) would be:
www.mayflowerpark.com
www.vancehotel.com

But even their cheapest rooms are slightly above your budget.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

Two years ago, as a solo female traveler, I stayed at the Vance Hotel for three nights. Never felt unsafe. Walked all over downtown, the waterfront, and belltown. My stay there was actually due to a bid in Priceline, so I spent well under $100/night (in March). I see from their website that they've done a complete renovation this past year. The bathroom was tiny, but really, no complaints.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help!! I have a reservation at the Vance Hotel for $116 per night. I read some really bad reviews about this hotel on TripAdvisor.com and got worried. If they have just done a renovation I would imagine it to be a little better now. I will also try the Mayflower Park since it has been suggested a couple of times. Thank you so much!! I'll bring my 'brella!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM

I've been booking hotels on quickbook with a lot of success (thanks to a tip from someone on this board). They list the Hotel Monaco which is a great hotel and a great location. Also the Alexis would be a top choice of mine. These put you right between Pioneer Square to the south, Pike Place/museum to the north and the shopping core to the northeast.

Also on weekdays you can ride the Free bus zone in the downtown core up and down 1st and 2nd Ave
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM

If you can get Monaco or Alexis in your price range, these are definitely nice hotels. I've never used discount booking websites so don't know how they work. My suggestion of Mayflower and Vance (besides that they are classic older hotels in good locations) was because at normal room rates they were near your price range.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM

My mother and I stayed at the Courtyard at Lake Union a few weeks ago. It is in a nice location and they have FREE shuttle service to the Seattle Center, Pike's Market & Waterfront, etc. It was convenient. Rates are pretty reasonable - especially if you have AAA.