Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Unique things to do in Monterey,Carmel, Big Sur area

Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We will be driving down the coast from SF to see the above areas. Anyone had a unique way to experience it and any favorite places to eat? We will be there two days.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM

I don't know if my suggestions are unique or not, but I can tell you some things that I like to do.
Pt. Lobos is a must see. It's full of easy trails along the cliffs. I was just there 2 weeks ago and we were lucky to see Blue Whales spouting off shore.

In Big Sur Iike to go to Pfeiffer Beach. To get there take Sycamore Canyon off of highway 1 just south of Big Sur village. If it's sunny get there early because they limit the amount of cars that can park in the lot. It's a beautiful clean beach, but the water is freezing.

I love eating outside, so in Carmel one of my favorite places is The Forge in the Forest. The patio has heat lamps and little fireplaces so it's always warm. If you want a more upscale place than my other favorite is Casanova. They also have some outdoor dining. In Big Sur try the Big Sur River Inn. You can have a before dinner (or lunch) cocktail sitting on chairs they have placed in the river. It's very relaxing. They have great burgers and salads and live jazz on Sundays. If you like beer they have Fat Tire on tap. Nepenthe is another very popular place to check out. It has great view and a unique atmosphere. The food is ok, but their prices are a little high for what you get. If you've never been there though it's worth a stop.

Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. We'll check those places out! Thanks again.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:11 PM

I thought the most beautiful spot on the Big Sur coast was at Julia Pfieffer Burns state park - there is a very short walk to a beautiful waterfall that falls into a cove. The ocean water here is a brilliant shade of turquoise. The hikes in Point Lobos are very interesting - and some are very short, so you get a lot of variety.