Eugene and SEATTLE/Olympia visit

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eugene and SEATTLE/Olympia visit

I will be taking my daughter to visit colleges in Oregon and Washington next week. Any suggestions for nice hotels/inns to stay at in Eugene and Olympia and Seattle?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:44 PM

Eugene doesn't have many nice hotels. The Hilton is probably the nicest. It is right downtown and closer to the U of O campus, if you are in adequate shape you could walk it.

Seattle hotels are very expensive. There are plenty of nice hotels, but they are mostly in downtown. Last I visit, there aren't a lot of nice hotels near the U district (U of Washington). Here's the list from the U of W's web site:

http://www.washington.edu/univrel/vi...modations.html

You could stay downtown and drive to U of W easily if you want. Downtown Seattle is nice if you don't mind the prices. The only nice hotel I've stayed at downtown is the Westin, but there are plenty of others. Do a search for Seattle here.

Can't help you with Olympia.

Andrew
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Since both Eugene and Olympia are somewhat "college towns" the selection will be more limited.

Seattle has hundreds of hotels, most of them expensive! Assuming you are visiting the Univ of Wash, you might want to stay out in the U-District? It's only 10 mins. drive from downtown, but very different neighorhood, so you would be able to get the feel for the area she'd probably be living if she attends school at that campus.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
You shouldn't have sticker shock too badly in the next couple of weeks as the summer crunch hasn't hit and won't for several weeks.

As mentioned, Eugene is something of a crapshoot on hotels. There are a few downtown, a few close to the UO campus, but also many on the other side of the river closer to the freeway and shopping mall areas. You might actually look for B&Bs or some such around Eugene, or just bite the bullet and stay at a chain.

Ditto Olympia, which is grossly under-served by decent hotels given the city's importance as the state capital. My recommendation there would be the Phoenix Inn, located on the north end of downtown, walkable from the public market (if open) and close to the harbor. I presume the target in Olympia is Evergreen State, which has no particular accommodation very close to it (that I know of) but is quite a good school, if offbeat in some ways. Your other choice would be to make Olympia a day trip from Seattle (about an hour each way) thereby reducing the number of times you need to break camp.

Before shelling out big bucks, I'd try for rooms at the four star level on Priceline in Seattle. Even if you spend a hundred bucks a room, it will be cheaper than rack rate at lesser places. Or try for the Residence Inn or Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union, both of which are close enough to downtown or the UW or Seattle U. or SPU to be convenient for visits.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM

Eugene:
We loved the Campbell House, but a romantic B&B might not be what you're looking for.
The Valley River Inn might be ok. It is by a nice riverside pathway at least.

http://www.campbellhouse.com/
http://www.valleyriverinn.com/

Olympia:
We were rather horrified by the hotel choices downtown. The AmeriTel (in Lacey?) was quite comfortable and they had good cookies at the reception desk.

http://www.ameritelinns.com/ameritel_hotels.asp?PID=8
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM

In Eugene, we stay at the Valley River Inn, and next time we're in town we want to check out Joe Federigo’s Restaurant and Jazz Club.

In Olympia, we've stayed at Cavanaugh's at Capitol Lake, which is the best place in town as far as I know. Anthony's in Olympia is part of a Washington State chain of very good seafood restaurants.

In Seattle, you have umpteen choices, as others have noted.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:13 PM

I want to add that on www.tripadvisor.com I see that the Phoenix Inn is popular. It is a non-discript place in a very good location within walking distance of Anthony's and Budd Bay Cafe--two good restaurants.
The Phoenix is reasonably priced and it comes with breakfast, which is a plus.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I agree Valley River Inn is nice- on the bike path and they have bikes to rent also- nice outdoor deck dining by the river/ lounge with entertainment at night
A place close to the university is the Excelsior Inn- its more like a B & B-
its over a very nice Italian restaurant
and I have heard very nice things about it- phone 1-800-321-6963 - breakfast at the restaurant is included- you can walk to the university.
There is also a Residence Inn by Marriott which is close to the bike/walking path and restaurants.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I would also recommend checking out the Excelsior in Eugene. Never stayed there, but went to the restaurant and bar quite a few times during my tenure in Eugene. It's in a great location for visiting the U of O.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lynnwla,
Is that Lynn from West L.A.? Just curious, since that's where I live. Could you please update us on your trip? What colleges did you visit, which ones did you like, and where did you stay (and did you like it?). Planning the same trip next year with a soon to be junior.
Thanks