short-term housing in phila., pa for couple w/ husband having lung transplant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

husband having lung transplant at u of penna. will need short-term housing for three- four months. there is no date set. any where from two days to two yrs. want one or two bedroom apt w/ kitchen, laundry facility, air-condition, no stairs or elevator. needs to be furnished. safe area. any suggestions. thank you.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Well, this is the only one I saw on vrbo.com. Know nothing about it - but thought it might help.

http://www.vrbo.com/46936

Good luck to you and your husband!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM

When I was a hospital social worker, this was a situation in which we became involved. You may find that the transplant social worker can assist you.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM

I wish you and your husband well and hope his transplant is successful.

My granddaughter had a liver transplant at Stanford University Hospital in Palo Alto, CA.

Unlike your husband's transplant, we were able to schedule my granddaghter's transplant as my daughter was a live donor. So we were able to find an apartment in advance for the time we were in California. The best we could do was a partly furnished apartment. So we rented furniture.

Check the Newspapers online and call or e-mail some of the apartments you may be interested in. They could keep your name on file and when the time comes, contact them again to see if they have anything available.

You can also check the following sites and contact them with your information. Many of the places will forego a six month or one year lease for a little more rent.

www.apartments.com

www.apartmentguide.com

www.rent.com

www.rentals.com

I don't know why you cannot get a place with an elevator.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Check with the hospital. If it does a lot of this type of transplant, they probably have access to apartments that may be available for short term lease.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Do contact the hospital Social Worker, as Abram suggests. They are prepared to help with these issues.

And I wish the best outcome.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:01 PM
hdm

I'd also suggest that you check with the local colleges and universities. Sometimes professors on sabbatical are going away and hoping to rent out their houses or apartments. You'd likely need to know a general date but it's worth a try. Universities also often have apartments for visiting scholars and these sometimes stay vacant for long stretches of time.

I wish you and your husband all the best. What a wonderful time we live in when there are such medical miracles as tranplants!