Search

SF - Good 'hood to move to?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF - Good 'hood to move to?

Hi Fedorite friends,

I just moved to SF and LOVE it! I dunno this city at all. However, I love SF! The people are hip, cool, friendly, diverse, cultured, sophisticated, layed back and there's a ton of things to do here.

Where can I get a cheap, hip, apartment, in a cool 'hood? I don't need a haughty neighborhood however, at the other end of the spectrum, don't wanna end up dead in the Tenderloin district either.

I'm straight and don't care if others are gay but like, I don't want to end up in an "exclusively gay" 'hood.

Also, I heard some patches are foggy. Is this like, intermittant, cozy, mysteriously romantic kinda fog? Or, is it more of the dreary, depressing, starin' down the barrell of a gun, relentless fog variety?

Pls. help me get out of this dive of a motel, n-kay?

BTW, I'm 42 y.o., car-less, and work in the financial district if this info. influences your response.

Thank you for your time and advice.
Aloha.

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
firstly - you have already posted this. No need to start a new thread - simply top your othere one.

second - "cheap" and "SF" are seldom used in the same sentence. What is your budget?
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM

omigod, Oahu, I don't know if it is the wine I have been drinking or what but your post just cracked me up LOL
I don't know what SF is like anymore, I lived there many many years ago, in the Marina district. So that is my favorite area ( in the dim memories of the past)...and the Tenderloin was pretty iffy back then too! Good to know some things never change LOL

I never remember terrible fog, so most likely you will have a more intermittant cozy romantic fog than the staring down the barrel of the gun sort..at least, now that you put it that way, I hope so!!

Thanks for the laugh, good luck in your move and your new life in SF.
I loved living there and if we win the lottery, we will be your new neighbors
Scarlett
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
SAB

As janis has stated cheap and San Francisco do not go together and there are no "exclusively gay" neighborhoods. The Castro, which is identified as a predominantly gay neighborhood, is mixed and very expensive. That being said a hip, neighborhood that might be less expensive-a relative term--is the Lower Haight. The other hip, cool neighborhoods are Soma and Hayes Valley. Good neighborhoods are the Inner Sunset, the Inner Richmond, great neighborhoods are Cole Valley, Noe Valley, the Marina, Nob Hill. Take a look on cragislist to get an idea of prices.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM

Another vote for the Inner Richmond District. I lived there prior to our move to AZ. We got a lot more for our money than when we lived in Pacific Heights. We were a short walk to GG Park. I also had an easy commute to downtown on the 38 Geary bus. Best of luck, and enjoy this time in your life!
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

I posted this twice? Dang! Sorry!

Hi Fellow Fedoritians:

"Cheap" is sort of relative - I just moved from Waikiki... I guess I meant that I'm not into (paying for) a prestious street address that will knock my mail delivery person's socks off.

Is the rest of SF fair game? Am I in East Swampgas, SF if I move to like, South SF? Meaning - out in the 'boonies' with a Pizza Hut -n a shopping mall for culture? Sittin' around every weekend, watching the grass grow, awaiting Death's Sweet Embrace and looking forward to my 1.5 hr. commute to work on Monday?

I'm all over Craigslist but, I really don't know what 'hoods are okay. I heard about Castro (thx!), heard to avoid the Mission District like the plague. Ya - and Tenderloin is pretty spookey... People yellin' at inanimate objects and such.

I guess I want The Cultural Special - hold the Crazies, Boonies and Haughties.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

BTW - THANK YOU for your advice! I've noted these areas.
You guys rock.
Cheers ;-)
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM

LOL .. People yellin' at inanimate objects and such.
We have that right here in Portland Oregon

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
TheWeasel

I don't really think it matters which "hood" you wind up in. Based on your posts in other threads, it seems like you hate wherever it is you do live, so the same will probably hold true for SF in a short time. Especially if you've moved there without doing any research on much of anything.

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
SAB

South SF is not SF and yes it is the boonies. As for the rest of SF being fair game, no it is not. I would avoid the following neighborhoods listed on craigslist: western addition, excelsior, bayview, downtown/civic center. The Mission is good in parts and not so good in other parts. It has some of the best weather in the City, ie, in the summer when the avenues, that is the outer Sunset and the RIchmond are foggy, the Mission will be sunny.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

TheWeasel
Actually, I loved Chicago, NY, Boston, various places in Central America and all European cities I've been to. I didn't like Atlanta or Honolulu. I trust you've been to locations and disagree.
Thx, Sunshine.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

SAB
You're the best! Where to go, not go...
Thank you very much! I'll make a list of these locations.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
SAB

You are welcome--I'm feeling very generous this evening and loving my City because my dog who has been missing for 13 days was returned to me. I live in Cole Valley and after the support I've received from neighbors in looking for her, it just confirms what a wonderful place it is!!!!