Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve in San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 04:59 PM
traveler

My husband and I are arriving in San Fran on New Year's Eve - any ideas about what we should do? We are staying at the Grand Hyatt in Union Square. We're not big partiers - but would like to celebrate.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Carla

Union Square would not be my first choice of areas to stay in SF. It is quite run down and potentially dangerous at night, as is most of Downtown SF.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:11 PM
CAgal

Travgal, there's a big outdoor (alcohol-free) party on the waterfront in front the Hyatt Embarcadero, about a 20-minute walk from Union Square. If I were going to be in SF for New Year's Eve (and if the weather was nice), that's where I'd head.

Disregard Carla, she doesn't know "whereof she speaks."

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Carla

Traveler, Sorry that you have to put up with people like CAgal. I live in SF and I have a good sense of the areas to avoid. There are too many people people who post on this board who really don't know SF that well.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Guy

You tell 'em, David.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Pam

If you want something small try a dinner at someplace like Fleur de Lys or La Folie($$but worth it)..you will also need a cab ride to get to either place..if you want something different..I think once again there will be a "First Run" which is held in Crissy Field and is a 5 K walk/run...the course is lit by Coleman Lanterns and you are right beneath the Golden Gate Bridge. There should be a web site for it.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
traveler

Any restaurant recommendations for Embarcadero area - perhaps where we can see the fireworks? As I said, we're not into the nightclub scene but would probably enjoy the waterfront event.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
GeeGirl

traveler,

In case you haven't already found it, I got a lot of useful information on SFGate.com. It is the guide section of the San Francisco paper. I would bet they will have a section on what to do and where to go on New Years.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Abbey

Hi! I know you are not asking for opinions about your hotel, but I just wanted you to know that I stayed at Grand Hyatt in Union Square this summer and was very pleased with the location, rooms and staff.

Have a great time!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Susan

Try and make a reservation at Lapis on the waterfront. You should have a great view of the fireworks from there, but be sure to call well in advance, it will be popular.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Helen

Forget Lapis. The food is okay, but not great considering the price.