Where to Stay in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband I are going to San Francisco in June. We're going to rent something from vrbo.com and so far available in our price range are four condos: one in Sausalito, one in the Mission District, one in Richmond, and one in Brentwood. Which do you think would be the best option- we don't need to be downtown- we like to walk, hike, and we'd like to go to Alcatraz and G.Gate. We'd like to stay in a quieter area where parking isn't a huge issue, as we'll have a car. Which of these areas would you suggest?

Thanks,

Kellie
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM

Sausalito is not in SF, of course.

I'd suggest the Marina/Cow Hollow area north of the Union Street shopping district. It's a great neighborhood, with Chestnut Street in the middle, and it's convenient to the Golden Gate Bridge.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean the town of Brentwood? That is a long way from SF. It is actually closer to Stockton and Sacramento than it is to SF . . . .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM

Also do you mean the city of Richmond, or the Richmond District of SF. Two entirely different places.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
SAB

No one can really answer this without knowing the actual locations. If memory serves from an old post I think Brentwood is an in South SF, which is not SF and would be the furthest from everything. Sausalito could be lovely, especially if it is in the hills with a view. But again not actually in SF. There are parts of the Mission such as Liberty Hill that are lovely, parts that are very urban, and parts that are downright seedy. The Richmond designation could cover a large area from the ocean to Masonic Ave. Parts of the Richmond are quiet charming, and parts are characterless.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I don't have more info- just whatever was on the website. The place in Richmond says its near Ocean Beach and Golden Gate Park if that helps. I know Sausalito isn't in S.F. but is pretty easy to get back and forth?

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Then my guess is it actually says "in the Richmond" or "in the Richmond District". Not just "in Richmond" since that is a city across the Bay.

What does the "Brentwood" listing say about its location??

A better idea is give us links to the listings (or at least the VRBO #'s ) so we can give you better ideas about their locations/value.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Good idea:

Here are the links:

www.vrbo.com/89220
www.vrbo.com/89116
www.vrbo.com/125949
www.vrbo.com/76447

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Links were very helpful. I would narrow it down to the 2nd (Richmond district) or the 3rd (Mission). Both are nice areas although very different from one another. 89116 has endless glowing reviews from previos renters while 125949 has no reviews yet (it is a higher number so could have just gone on the market).
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM

The Richmond place is on Geary at 25th. Lots of commerce on Geary, but it thins out & isn't so bad at 25th. Lots of Chineese & other ethnic restaurants very close by - and someone mentioned Pacific Cafe within 6 blocks, which has been a local "institution" for over 30 years. This area will get lots of fog in the summer. The Mission gets quite a bit less fog. From the Richmond place, it's a short walk to GG Park, China beach, and the wonderful Presidio area. Rent a bike if you choose this location. Parking is very difficult. Very short hop on 25th or Park Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge & points north.

Hard to tell exactly where the Mission St place is. It mentiones Balmy Alley. There is a 1 block Balmy St in the Mission near 25th & Harrison - which isn't that great of a location.

Stu Dudley
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Clerification for non-locals. In San Francisco there are two sets of numbered streets. The "avenues" which are around Golden Gate Park running north & south, and "streets" running from downtown through the Mission. The Richmond pace is near 25th Ave, and the Mission place is near 25th Street - completly different parts of town.

Stu Dudley
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
SAB

OK, 76447 is indeed in South San Francisco, which is not SF and is the furthest away.

Of the 4 you are looking at I would opt for Sausalito, with a caveat. I don't think the Mission apt is at 25th and Harrison-it just mentions it is within walking distant on the murals in Balmy Alley-but it does sounds as though it is in the Valencia Street area. It could be a decent location if you are under an under 30, urban hipster because that is the vibe. It does have alot of character. Oh, and street parking will be a hugh issue!!!

As far as the Richmond apt is concerned, Stu Dudley has nailed the description. I would add that I find this area to be rather characterless--lots of stucco homes and apartments, without much greenery.

In your price range the following would be better SF locations: http://www.vrbo.com/85327 or http://www.vrbo.com/44991
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Good job SAB.

The Noe Valley one (44991) is less than 3 blocks from where I used to live. PERFECT neighborhood & location. Jump on it fast kellienjay. Both San Francisco Magazine and an article I read in the Chronicle called the Noe Valley the best neighborhood in the Bay Area - and I agree (I'm biased). Be careful, however, you may never want to leave. First night there, have dinner at Firefly on 24th - that's where we're dining tomorrow night. Second night, have dinner at Incanto on Church - we dined there last month & it's one of our favorites in the entire city.

Stu Dudley
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

SAB-

I loved others, too. Unfortunately, they were both booked already for the dates of our stay. Thanks for all your advice. I'm torn between Sausalito and the Richmond, I think!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
SAB

If it's any help the weather will definately be better in Sausalito. As Stu mentioned if there is fog, of which there is alot in June, the Richmond can be fogged in all day, especially out at 25th. So the choice would be between a smaller place with a view with good weather and a larger place in the fog zone. I know which I would choose!!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Janis is right, Brentwood is a ways away from SF - BUT, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) has a great train that's cheap (about $5) that goes to both the SFO and Union Square (Powell Street, to be exact) from a place called Pittsburgh which is about a 15 min drive from Brentwood. I'll be staying with my cousin in Brentwood (i.e. free) and I'll be taking the train to SF for shopping and museuming. It's about an hour each way.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM

ValCanada: That has been cleared up - the house isn't in Brentwood, it's in South San Francisco. . . . .
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM

My bad! Sorry.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM

A friend of mine stayed in an apt. for two weeks early this year, in Noe Valley. She just loved it, and said was a great location. She also said it was very easy to get around on public transit from there.