Security measures-camera

Aug 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Security measures-camera

Does anyone know if the scanners of airort bagage can harm your digital equipment(memory cards) since they have to go in the regular bagage now ? I read somewhere that those scanners are more powerful than those used for cabin bags and that they are harmful for analogue film material.Paul
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM

First of all, they don't have to go to checked baggage. Even flying from the UK to US (which is the route most affected by the recent events), you can still take one piece of reduce-sized carryon.

Second, no, they won't be harmed. But checked bags can get lost and/or damaged.
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:40 AM
TheWeasel

Memory cards are digital, not analog, so it makes no difference if the scanners harm analog film. Unless they're using powerful magnets that can wipe out the memory card (and they're not to my knowledge), I don't see how the scanners can harm memory cards. If you're flying in the U.S. take them in your carry-on bag if you're still worried.

Aug 30th, 2006, 09:58 AM

unless you have a lock that works, i woud be reluctant to put anything of value in a checked bg
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I've taken my memory cards and digital camera through airport security a dozen or two times in the last few years without any damage. Don't worry about it. (The x-rays done to checked bags are stronger, but I sitll doubt they would harm your stuff.)

Andrew
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.We"ll be leaving Brussels to Washington DC on 9/11 and the instructions we got from our airport security are very strict. Only a seethrough plastic bag with a few items-wallet- tickets-one book-one newspaper-non fluid medication) are allowed in the cabin.Paul
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:49 AM

tovarich - I believe you're flying AA. From what we can interpret, the wording on AA's website is confusing. What it means is that they want items in your one piece of carry-on to be placed in plastic bags. That way, it's easy for inspection.

Doesn't mean you can't take a carryon, nor that the only carryon must be a clear plastic bag.
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:53 AM

Oh, sorry. I just looked at aa.com again. They clarified what's OK for Belgium-US flights. Yes, very restrictive. But I guess the one plastic bag doens't need to be clear plastic.

Search this Thread