Digital Camera/Flash Memory Card

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:35 AM
havkhones

Digital Camera/Flash Memory Card

I am planning on taking my digital camera on my next trip. Should I have concerns with the flash memory when going thru security checkpoints?

Is carry-on the best way to carry a camera? I have always bought disposables and carried them in my carry-on, but I want a little better camera for my next trip.

Any ideas?

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:41 AM
OliveOyl

We've always brought our Olympus Camedia as carry on, where it does get x-rayed in the carry-on bag, but has created no problems. Our son just packed his for his return trip to Dallas...also no problems.

I wouldn't even think about packing it what with the new guidelines about not locking luggage...and if you do lock it they have the right to break the locks!? No way would I put anything that expensive in my suitcase, even before these guidelines. Their liablitly limits are quite low.

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM
ParrotMom

We have had no problems putting our digital Olympus and accessories through the x-ray...But you'd be crazy to even think of putting it in your luggage...carry it on..if you have one other carry on you can carry the camera...but on one flight after going through security we were told to put the camera in our carry on..which was not a problem. going to a travel show on Saturday and will find out about the plastic straps they are talking about.. We usually use wide colored nylon straps on our pieces of luggage--I don'tknow if that's acceptable now..

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Richard

There is absolutely NO problem putting this or even normal photo film through x-ray, they have no effect whatsoever.

flash memory especially cannot be affected by x-rays.

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Andrew

Take your digital camera and memory cards in you carry on bags - they will be fine going through the Security CheckPoints (SCP)- never a problem for me in 2002, my memory cards went through the SCP x-ray machines numerous times.

Film up to ISO 800 is fine to go through SCP x-ray machines too. So ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400 film will be fine. If you have very fast film (more than ISO 800, say ISO 1000 or ISO 1600) ask them to do a hand check of the film at the SCP.

DO NOT put this stuff in your checked luggage! The X-ray machines are much more powerful. But carry on is fine.

Andrew

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Dick

Richard...

The TSA states on their website

"Don't put film in your checked baggage, as the screening equipment will damage it."

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM
suzanne

Digital cameras can be put in checked luggage too without damage to the flash card (just did it last week w/o problems). Of course, you have the increased risk of your camera being lost or stolen if you check it.

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
J Correa

We've never had any problems taking our digital camera and compact flash cards through the x-rays at the security check points. I have never put them in my checked luggage because I never put anything of value in checked luggage - just clothing, toiletries and books.

When we take a camera that uses film, we buy our film at our destination and then ship our exposed film home with anything that we buy on our trip.

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Donna

If you have any concern with the flash memory cards, carry them in their cases in your pocket and place them in the small items trays (which are not sent through x-ray), then return them to your pocket. I prefer several smaller cards versus one large card for a variety of obvious reasons.

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Dick

Donna,

I have been through a number of diffenet airports in the last couple of months, and they ALL sent the small items trays through X-ray.

Regardless, memory cards should be no problem through X-ray....after all computers(with mnedia storage) go through X-ray without incident.

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Richard

The TSA is just a preventative general statement. As mentioned "normal" film is never a problem.

As another mentioned above some of the speacialty film, and even infra red film. But if your using this stuff you know the handling properties of it, and you probably store it in the refridgerator.

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Dick

Richard,

I think the "preventative general statement" was the old reccomendation.

My understanding is that the X-rays for CHECKED luggage have been boosted since the earlier statement. Now damge to film in checked luggage is more of a probability.

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Richard

Don't know about the new checked luggage, was addresing the question posted which was security checkpoints.

I think your more likely to "lose" all your pictures if you check your camera vs x-ray exposure if you know what I mean.