Camera Film -checkit, carry it?

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Georgiana

Camera Film -checkit, carry it?

Anyone know the latest on film care and the newest xray equipment. Will be going to th UK and Germany in the next few weeks. No, I don't want to go digital yet, holding out for more zoom.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've been taking it out of the boxes, packing the rolls in a zip lock, taking it as carry on and asking for a hand inspection rather then going through the x-ray. No problems thus far and worth the minor hassle.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Ally75

with regular 35mm film, I've never had a problem either in carry on luggage or checked baggage.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Its my understanding that the new machines they are running our checked baggage through will damage film. Its best to carry it on.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Ally75

Glad to know that, Erin! I'll put it in carry on from now on.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I found the following on the TSA website.

Transporting Film

WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

Traveling with Film

Never place film in your checked baggage.
Place film in your carry-on baggage* or request a hand inspection.

* Carry-on screening equipment might also damage certian film if the film passes through more than 5 times.

None of the screening equipment - neither the machines used for checked baggage nor those used for carry-on baggage - will affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, videos, photo compact discs, or picture discs.

General use film **

You should remove all film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage. The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800.

If the same role of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times.

Specialty film **

Specialty film is defined as film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher and typically used by professionals.

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher
Highly sensitive X-ray or scientific films
Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)
Film that is or will be underexposed
Film that you intend to 'push process'
Sheet film
Large format film
Medical film
Scientific film
Motion picture film
Professional grade film

Other Tips and Precautions:

If you plan to request a hand inspection of your film, you should consider carrying your film in clear canisters, or taking the film out of solid colored canisters and putting it into clear plastic bags, to expedite the screening process.
If you are going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations with the same rolls of undeveloped film, you may want to request a hand-inspection of your film. However, non-U.S. airports may not honor this request.
If you plan to hand-carry undeveloped film on an airplane at an international airport, contact the airport security office at that airport to request a manual inspection.
Consider having your exposed film processed locally before passing through airport security on your return trip.
We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you can request a hand inspection.
You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign airports.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:39 AM

The x-rays in checked luggage stronger than those used for carry on. You should defintely carry it. Have it hand checked if possible.

My digital has a 7x optical zoom which is equivalent to a 200mm. It worked out great on my last vacation.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Coming back from Italy a couple years ago, I thought my husband was carrying on the film, and he thought I was. Turns out it was in the luggage and all our pictures were ruined. DEFINITELY carry on!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:14 PM

In the past I've used one of those x-ray protective pouches. It has protected my film both carried on and checked.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:47 PM

1. Definitely put film in your hand-carry bag. Do NOT put it with checked luggage.
2. At least in the US, you can ask for 800 ASA or faster film to be hand inspected and the inspectors will comply. I was accommodated on two round trips within the US in the past couple months. (The last time I forgot that I had 800 ASA film in my camera and put it through with you carry on. The film was NOT damaged.)
3. As previous posters have said, you'll save time if you take the film out of the canisters and pack them in clear plastic bags.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:22 PM
sandi

Definitely carryon. I use a lead bag, insert all film in the canisters, colored or clear, and have never had a problem. But remember, this is only for any ASA less than 800. Last trip we must have gone thru at least 10 Xray security checks and no problems.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:13 PM

I,too, always take film out of canisters and place in a clear plastic bag (on return I also put my used film in the bag - note: I put a paper on the film with a note as to what roll it is and secure with a rubber band) and ask for a hand check. However, I don't take my camera out of my carry-on and no film left in the camera has been ruined yet. Film is more expensive generally while traveling so I take as much as possible with me from the U.S.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Georgiana

Any suggestions on where to get the lead film carry bags?

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Most camera stores carry the lead bags.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:02 PM

I passed through security no less than 12 times in one trip, last summer. I left my film in my carry-on, and it was fine. In fact, the pictures came out great! If you are worried, put the rolls in a see through zip-lock bag (take them out of the little containers, so the guards can see that they are really film), and hand them over at the X-ray machine. Lead bags are heavy, and you will not want to add the weight to your bags. I am sure.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Georgiana

Thanks so much for all your help.

A zip lock bag and a smile. I'll go with that.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:29 AM
sandi

Instead of using small piece of paper and rubber band on exposed film, carry a waterproof black marker and just mark the # on the metal.

I mark first roll inserted #1, when removed, the next roll is marked #2 and so on. Since I know my itinerary, it's easy enough to know where the pics were taken.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:18 PM

What's the official policy with the hand-check request? On my last trip back to RDU from LGW, I asked for a hand inspection of my undeveloped 35mm film: 12 roles in all. My request was declined, repeatedly. Tired and frustrated, I went ahead with sending it through the re-entry carry-on scanner. But what actions can one take to escalate the request on the spot? What is the official law/policy? Thanks in advance for your help. Ando.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Very simple.

Do not place film in your checked luggage.
Buy an film bag (under $15.) rated at ASA 800 or better.
Place film in the bag and bag in carry-on luggage.

Don't worry about inspection.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:47 PM

You can get various sizes of lead lined bags at most camera stores (and probably WalMart). Yes, they are heavy in a carryon bag, but it beats losing your pictures. I've had it hand inspected and I've had them refuse to hand inspect. I've gone through scanners repeatedly and have only lost a few pictures. I think they may have been on film in my camera but don't remember.

I gave up and went digital last year. The Olympus Camedia 730 has a 10X optical zoom with additional 3X digital zoom for a 30X total zoom. That is pretty good. I love the camera and it certainly makes traveling easier . . . except now I take more pictures and need my laptop so I can download 300 photos every evening! I don't think you can win!

Enjoy your trip and put that film in your carryon. 8^)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -