Safety of carrying cameras

Sep 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Safety of carrying cameras

We leave tomorrow night...2 nights in Venice..one week in an apt in the Tuscan countryside then 6 days in Rome. My husband wants to bring our 35 mm digital camera and a zoom lens as well as our small compact digital camera that fits in a pocket. Should we be concerned about the security of carrying the large camera in Rome or Florence or Venice? He would carry a fanny pack or an over the shoulder camera bag. Need advice asap...
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM

I carried my smallish digital video camera everywhere. I had an over-the-shoulder travel bag that had a pocket large enough for it, but usually it was in my hand, ready for use.

I was pickpocketed (they didn't get anything, so no issue) while I was using the camera, (busy filming in the Curia Julia), but it had nothing to do with carrying the camera itself. I would imagine it would be more a matter of convenience in carrying rather than security. And the pictures will be priceless!

Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM

NO! I am a photographer and I carry that with me when I travel, and I will be going to Italy next month. You should just be aware that there are thieves and be alert with your camera, money, etc.
Sep 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM

There's a recent thread (ie yesterday) on carrying a camera

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34868561

As for fanny pack, there's already a thread on them

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...archText=fanny

Sep 13th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick advice. He has decided to take the bag he can carry over his shoulder. I like the idea of the extra precaution of the camera strap outside the bag and around the neck as an extra precaution. (from the thread)

Leaving today....caio
Sep 13th, 2006, 07:31 AM

No fanny pack and no shoulder camera bag (either one is asking for the camera to be stolen). Camera should be around your neck (or - if a small one in your purse while not being used).

I question the zoom lens - depending on how big/heavy it is - it can get quite uncomfortable.
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I've traveled 30 years with a large camera bag with no problems, including in cities like Rome, Florence and Venice. Of course, it does not mean that tomorrow ...
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Whatever the mode of transport for the camera, I would have the memory cards in a seperate place - that way if the camera and/or camera bag were to be stolen, they haven't gotten away with your pictures.
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Not for reasons of safety, because I don't see that as an issue... but I'd prefer just the digital because I don't like to haul a bunch of stuff around. Depends how serious you are about photography, I guess.
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Note memory cardS - it's better to have 2 small ones than 1 large one as it means you aren't totally goosed if one card fails
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I've been traveling for decades and I'm a photographer. Lately, I've been carrying a 35 mm with a large lens and a digital camera with a medium lens. I use a Domke bag to lug the cameras, extra film, batteries (and sometimes a guidebook) around. This stuff goes with me EVERYWHERE. And by the end of many a day I'm swearing up and down that on the next trip I won't carry as much stuff. But I always do. Knock on wood, no one has ever tried to rip me off. Could I get by with a smallish digital? In some situations, yes. But there have been more times than not that I was very happy that I my big camera with me. That's my take on it, but I realize that other people have different personalities.
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Last year we traveled in Rome, Florence and Venice - I took my digital SLR with a few lenses everywhere with me and never had any problems. I would advise not to use a backpack, but carry your gear in a shoulder bag - this way the gear is much more accessible and safe, since it's not on your back.

Hope it helps,
Oleg.
www.Olegis.com